Feeling worried about my turtles health

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Visalia, CA
Hey all.... I posted a little while back about a slight cricket infestation in my turtles tank (which I have cleared up thank God) but when I brought that up a few of you guys brought to my attention that I may need to separate my 2 turtles. You see, I adopted my turtles about a year ago, and was told that they were both female. Well several months ago it became obvious that one was male and he began dominating her like a fly on honey. I seperated them into individual tanks 2 weeks ago.... And I have not noticed any change in her behavior. She is just staying burrowed under the subtrate all day from what I can tell. She never eats worms or pinkies, and rarely goes into water. She just burrows and sleeps all the time. I know that she used to hide from him, but she doesnt have to anymore, she has her very own place now..... I'm just so sad!!! What can I do to help her?! :(

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
She may think he is still in there. It will probably just take some time. I dont know what else you could do. Hopefully someone will give you some ideas.
Good luck!!

You seperated them two weeks ago.....she should realize he is not there anymore. She is probably still scared. Have you tried getting her out of the dirt and putting her in her water bowl? I usually do that with my female boxie. She stayes burried  most of the day too.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
I move her out and put her in her soaking bowl, and she seems to enjoy it, but I feel like if I don't do that she won't do it for herself....

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
If there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with her health-wise, I'd say just keep putting her in the water to soak once or twice a day. She'll eventually realize the male isn't around anymore.

I don't know how far apart they are currently housed, but you might want to try and move the male further away for a few days at least so she can't smell him as strongly.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That is a good idea. Keep their enclosures away from eachother.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
update on Scarlet!!!

Hi all!!! I am thrilled to report that Scarlet is doing much, much better!!! I followed the advice you guys gave me, and brought her out pretty much every day. Or sometimes just shuffle up her bedding just enough, and give the tank a little mist :cool: After just a couple of times she would go in the water by herself! Though it has taken a lot of nudging on my behalf to wake her up, I am beginning to notice more and more often that she is out and about all on her own! And on Sunday evening, for the first time ever, she ate a (defrosted) pinkie mouse!! She has never showed any interest before, and this time, she literally ate it in one big bite!! So I gave her another and she ate it too!!! It really is such a good feeling, slowly but surely she is getting there! THANKS everyone!!!!!!!! :D:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.