Feeding & Vitamins & Pellets - oh my.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
western North Carolina
I know this is going to seem like an overly-basic question considering I've had Pearl for 18 days, but... How much/often should I be feeding her? She's a one month old Hermann's hatchling. Some days she seems constantly hungry. Other days, not so much. Is it possible that maybe she just really likes the foods I give her on some days, and be less crazy about the food I give her on others?

Another: Is it possible to over supplement? I sprinkle a bit of powdered Calcium/D3 on her meals, and I also bought Vita-Sol for her baths/water.

Also related: Does anyone have any suggestions on getting her eat some of the tortoise pellets and Timothy Hay I got for her? I want her to be able to eat this in addition to fresh greens/veggies. I've tried mixing the pellets with water and mushing them up (they're huge!) then sprinkling greens on top, but she isn't interested. I put a small amount of Timothy hay in, but I really can't tell if she's nibbled at it or not. If so, not much.

- Hayley

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Feed her as much as she will eat as often as she will eat it. I like to leave some kind of food available at all times if possible. That can mean dedicated food or plants in the habitat that get nibbled on.

Yes, she could prefer some foods more than others and may have a variable appetite.

It is possible to over-supplement. Doing that usually requires a level of intention to achieve that end. Their bodies have more minerals than simply calcium, so I would advise the use of something more along the lines of a multi-mineral. I have a preference for Miner-all, but you have viable alternative options to consider as well. I also like to leave broken pieces of cuttlebone in the cage in a dry area.

Your hermanni is not likely to care much for hay as a baby or maybe even ever. You can withhold food for a day or three and then offer only moistened pellets and see if she will then recognize them as an acceptable food. You may need to try different types of pellets. I like Mazuri. Some like other options.

Go on eBay and buy bulk feed lot / food plot seeds by the pound. A combination of white clover and seven-top turnip works well. I would also mix in some chia seeds. Sprinkle these on the moistened substrate of the enclosure (avoid sides and corners; make a central oval or circle of seeding area to resist trampling rate). They should provide a type of high-nutrition graze for your little lady.

Logan J

5 Year Member
I find feeding natural food not store bought is a better choice

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
western North Carolina
So just a few days ago I read that calcium powder supplement with added D3 is kinda bad? Particularly for tortoises housed mostly indoors with UVB lights? I had been sprinkling a bit on her food 1x/day. But the past few days I have stopped all together. I'm still in the process of getting a garden established and would like to add some lime to the soil to make the plants grow calcium rich-- but this process will take time I guess.
So is this true about the D3? Even for hatchlings? Should I just flat out avoid it and switch to a calcium supplement without d3? I put 1 drop of Vita-Sol liquid bird multivitamins in her water every time I change it.
She was sluggish last week, but once I stopped the calcium/d3 powder her energy levels and appetite went back to normal the very next day.

Kate2013

5 Year Member
Interesting. I got Minerall for indoor, but my torts will have UVB lights in their indoor enclosure. I was kind of wondering the same thing. Should I get the Minerall outdoor?? Hermann's are herbivores. It says on the label to use Minerall outdoor for herbivores.. I feel so confused. If someone could clear this up that would be most appreciated. :D. And have a great weekend, everybody! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.