Feeding Sulcata during Winter

loopacia

5 Year Member
Hi, I have a sulcata that is 1.5 years old. He (I hope) is growing nicely and is around 2100 grams. I just had a question about what to feed during the winter now that he is so big and eating so much. I live in Arkansas and in the winter the grasses and weeds are all dead. During the spring, summer, and fall, he goes outside all the time and I have plenty of natural grasses and weeds for him to eat which he loves. In the winter, I have been giving him greens from the store to be able to feed him as he has a hearty appetite. He eats basically all I put in front of him. Is there something else I should be doing???? Or any other suggestions??

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
You could try hay. Have you fed opuntia cactus pads? There is a list on the forum of appropriate foods. Some people in colder climates grow stuff in greenhouses or indoors for food for their tortoises.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hi, I have a sulcata that is 1.5 years old. He (I hope) is growing nicely and is around 2100 grams. I just had a question about what to feed during the winter now that he is so big and eating so much. I live in Arkansas and in the winter the grasses and weeds are all dead. During the spring, summer, and fall, he goes outside all the time and I have plenty of natural grasses and weeds for him to eat which he loves. In the winter, I have been giving him greens from the store to be able to feed him as he has a hearty appetite. He eats basically all I put in front of him. Is there something else I should be doing???? Or any other suggestions??
Hey, I've been using a lot of escarole, and endive this winter. Along with mazuri tortoise diet, and some herbal hay mixed in from tortoise Supply. I also been getting wheatgrass also known as pet grass from local supermarkets. Along with mixing in different greens. I also found a supermarket near me that sells chopped up cactus in their produce section.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another idea, for next winter, is too dry your grass clippings and any edible tortoise safe leaves you have access too.
I buy mesh laundry bags from Walmart for a couple bucks each and fill them In the fall with tortoise safe leaves that fall from the trees, grape leaves from family and friends and my grass clippings. Just be sure whoever you collect from doesn't use any chemicals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Time to introduce grass hay. Feed your greens and stuff on a bed of it to introduce it. I prefer bermuda grass hay or orchard grass hay. I don't like timothy hay because it is too stemmy and difficult for smaller sulcatas to eat. You can find these hays at your local feed store where people buy horse products.

You can also get cubed horse hay. Make sure it has no added ingredients, and then break off and rehydrate pieces. Once it gets mushy and breaks up, you can mix it all in with your greens.

ZooMed Grassland tortoise chow is another way to add fiber, bulk and variety.

Mazuri is another good supplementary food to get you through the winter.

Spineless opuntia cactus pads are good any time of year.