feeding cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock_Radio

5 Year Member
was wondering if there are good and bad types of cactus to feed my RF, and how often would i feed him the cactus? is it more of a treat? and any1 know a good place to get some?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most succulents in the crassula family are edible. And, of course, the opuntia is edible. Everything in the Euphorbia family is toxic. There are a couple of folks here on the forum who sell opuntia. Look through the "for sale" section.

moswen

5 Year Member
there are lots of people who sell cactus here on the forum, you can just click the "for sale" section and you'll find some. i feed my sullies a few slices at least every other day bc it's very healthy for them, it's important to add other food as variables though. if i'm correct i think rf's get protein and fruits as part of their diet though, so i'm not sure how much fiber they need. cactus is good for your torts because it is chalk-full of fiber.

every type of opuntia, also called "prickly pear" cactus are good for your tort, also some ppl on the forum feed christmas cactus. you can find some species of spineless cactus (which they're not compeltely spineless, they still have a few glochids that will get you right on your fingertip and you won't be able to find them or get them out for days and days...) or if you get some with spines you can hold the pad over an open flame and it will burn the pads off.

also the cactus fruit, called "tuna" are especially loved by torts, but those should be fed sparingly and as a treat, but they are still acceptable to feed them!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
We feed all our hatchlings prickley pear cactus from day one. They love it and it is very good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.