Feeding Alfalfa Pellets During the Winter

Jason-AfricanSpined

Location (City and/or State)
Heber City, Utah
I recently purchased a 13 year old Sulcata and I am trying to get ready for winter. I saw at the local feed lot that they sell 50 lbs bags of alfalfa pellets. Since grass wont be available to me during the winter, would this be a healthy option?

Thanks

majxmom

Hi Jason. Others may chime in. I don't have any experience trying to feed my tortoise any kind of pellet, but I do have gobs of horses, so I am familiar with alfalfa pellets. They are so large and dry, I can't imagine that they are good for tortoises. I could see choke happening. Plus I believe that I've seen that alfalfa is not good in large quantities for torts. Many feed stores will stock grass or Timothy hays that they sell in single-flake sections for rabbits and things. That might be better. In my area, we have no problem getting fresh produce all year long, but my tortoise hibernates so winter feeding is not needed.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
sulcatas do not hibernate. where they are native(north Africa) its is warm all year. but Jason stock up on timothy hay its very good for sulcatas. during the winter i get 3 very large tubs and plant lots of different types of grasses so i can feed my sulcata through the winter, i keep the grass inside also. even through grass grows where i live during the winters i like to have an extra supply.

unnamed-13.jpg.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
For winter time feeding a lot of keepers will use Mazuri Tortoise chow. I use to mix timothy hay pellets with the Mazuri increase the fiber in my tortoise's diet. Now I get enough orchard grass hay that I don't bother with the pellets. They are easier to store than a bale of hay, and I think that is what first attracted me to them.