Feeding African sideneck!

My Turtle is very to his self and every time it comes to feeding time it only eats 3 pellets and that's it! It normally is always walking on the bottom of the tank.. So should I feed it something that falls to the bottom? My other turtle will eat most of the food that's on top and my Sideneck hardly stays on top unless he's hanging on to something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sideneck turtles are not good swimmers. The just walk along the bottom, preferring to be able to walk up a slope to get to the top to breathe. So, yes, something that sinks to the bottom would be a good food item. Have you tried live food? Worms?

Sideneck turtles are not good swimmers. The just walk along the bottom, preferring to be able to walk up a slope to get to the top to breathe. So, yes, something that sinks to the bottom would be a good food item. Have you tried live food? Worms?

No I haven't tried, when I was given him the lady gave me food she would usually feed him and that's exactly what I use for him!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From the 'net:

In the wild, African sideneck turtles usually eat invertebrates such as insects and worms. Letting your turtle eat some of these creatures can be a good treat, but make sure you purchase them commercially rather than just collect insects in your backyard -- insects in the wild may be affected by pesticides that can harm your pet. Most pet stores will carry worms, crickets and other insects that sideneck turtles love.

Other Foods They Eat
Sideneck turtles love dark leafy greens, so you can try feeding your pet small amounts of vegetables like spinach and kale. Your turtle should not have trouble chewing this food, but make sure that the leaves are not too big for your pet to safely eat. Aquatic turtles also enjoy certain freeze-dried foods such as shrimp, mealworms, and crickets. Again, these types of foods are available at most pet stores, and pet store employees can help you pick out more foods that are both safe and enjoyable for your turtle.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I had a side neck many many many years ago one of the things that he loved to eat was something that I bought from the store called Seafood medley which was basically just bits and pieces of shrimp and fish and other various Seafood it sinks to the bottom