Feeding 7 month old Horsfield

BladeBitten

Location (City and/or State)
Essex, United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals.

I've recently bought a 7 month old Horsfield tortoise.
The care sheet on the website I ordered him from says that they should be fed 5 out of 7 days, but I've also read on a lot of other websites that at such a young age they should be fed every day. What are your views/opinions for those already with tortoises?

Also, regarding the type of food:
So far I've kept him on an alternating diet of curly kale, romanian lettuce, cucumber, collard greens, watercress, rocket, occasional carrot shavings, and a slice of apple once a week.
At this time of year I can't find any weeds and flowers outside in my area, at least none that I can confidently pick as food for him.
I have bought two different bags of dried flowers which is labelled as "tortoise food" (dried dandelions, rose petals, marigold, blue mallow, calendula, and hibiscus), but my tortoise doesn't even touch the flowers. He's just not interested.
I've even thought about buying some of the pellet style tortoise food just to see if it's something my little guy would eat but I originally wanted to steer clear of that stuff.
I am using a calcium supplement, so I know that he's at least getting that.

I know that he's not starving because he's eating all the salad and vegetables I give him, but I want to make sure I'm giving him enough of the right stuff.
Any tips or recommendations?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

There certainly is a lot of conflicting info out there. Take a look at the care sheet Yvonne has mentioned, it’s more up to date that just about anything you’ll find.

You’ve made a good start with many of your foods. There is nothing wrong with using a pellet to supplement a diet, particularly when you are a new owner or when the weather limits your options. You can find Pre Alpin testudo blend or Nutrazu in the UK. (Nutrazu is the UK version of the Mazuri food you’ll see referenced so often here.)

Your tortoise may not care for the dried flowers right away; they have a strong smell. Try crushing just a few petals and sprinkle a very small amount into the food he does eat.

Please stop feeding any apple or carrot; your little guy can’t digest the sugars in those foods.