feeder toads/frogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Any one know a good source for feeder toads/frogs? My hognose won't touch scented pinkies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
What species is it? If it is a western, keep trying. Most convert fairly easily.

If it is an eastern, good luck. Starting collecting toads in mass. I don't know any vendors or dealers that offer them in large numbers. Eastern hogs are an advanced species IMHO, for this main reason. They are extremely difficult to convert to rodents and many never do. And of course, as you are experiencing now, finding a steady source feeder amphibians can be daunting, especially with the weather getting cooler.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
StudentoftheReptile said:
What species is it? If it is a western, keep trying. Most convert fairly easily.

If it is an eastern, good luck. Starting collecting toads in mass. I don't know any vendors or dealers that offer them in large numbers. Eastern hogs are an advanced species IMHO, for this main reason. They are extremely difficult to convert to rodents and many never do. And of course, as you are experiencing now, finding a steady source feeder amphibians can be daunting, especially with the weather getting cooler.

Eastern :( but I had one 15 years ago that I was able to turn). So far the only thing other than a frog that he ate was a tadpole.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I never said it was impossible, only that it is difficult. Some specimens are more likely than others and a lot is luck/perseverance. Success is the exception, not the norm with this species.

Status
Not open for further replies.