Feedback on weed growing box/sunny day enclosure plans.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Hey guys! :)

It's snowing today in North Dakota, even though last week we had a high of 78. UGH. I am hopeful that tort-friendly weather will be here soon!!! (please oh please oh please!)

Anywho, once it starts to warm up consistently I'd like to be able to take Littlefoot outside when it's nice out...it's his first spring/summer ever, I'm so excited! I live in an apartment (no balcony), so I have to build him a mobile outdoor enclosure to take in and outside. I'd like this to double as a weed-growing box. I thought about a kiddie pool type thing, but I have cats who would just LOVE to play with the weeds and dirt, so a lid of some sort is a must for when it's inside. Plus it'd be nice it it didn't take up a ridiculous amount of floor space. I'm thinking a large rubbermaid bin with some holes drilled in the lid for airflow...I can attach a light like this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_76376-1390-...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo= on the underside of the lid. Of course, when it's time to go outside with Littlefoot, the lid will be off.

As far as plants go, I plan on buying some sort of broadleaf mix for 1/3-1/2 the tub, with a grass or carpety-type plant on the other side, and a small area that's plant-free if he wants to burrow (optimistic thinking that he won't just uproot plants). When he's in the tub I will have a hide in there for him if he wants it, and a water dish.

I'd like feedback on these plans...members here always have such great suggestions that I'd never think of. Has anyone tried something like this? Do you have pictures to share? Recommendations on containers to use, or seed mixes, anything? I'd like to build this as smartly (and fairly inexpensively) as possible.

1,2,3...go! :)

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Somewhere I saw an awesome turtle sandbox conversion with hardware cloth protective screening attached to opened lid section. Easy to put a piece of plexiglass on it for humidity and warmth retention also.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I used to live in North Dakota - so I can feel for you when it comes to unpredictable weather. I remember it being near 80 one day and then snowing the next - and this was in May!!!! Trying to grow your greens and keep your little one in the same container might not be the best idea. You would have to keep it wet enough for the greens - probably too wet for a little Hermann's unless you made it a heated closed chamber. If you drill hole in the bottom of his enclosure - it might leak water when you bring it inside. My suggestion would be to create a nice enclosure just for him that you can move in and out of your patio - and grow the greens in a separate flat. Then you can pick them and give them to him daily. Hermann's are also notorious for over eating and would probably decimate all the greens in a short time if he had constant access to them. Hope that was helpful!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
This isn't a permanent enclosure. He already has a 75 gallon vivarium. The weedbox is just for excursions outside on warm/sunny days. I have an apartment with no patio or balcony, so the best I can do for outside time is the sidewalk in front of my building...hence creating a planted box.