Feedback on my indoor enclosures

William Garcia

Location (City and/or State)
Whittier, CA
hello everyone so i have two baby sulcata’s that live in separate enclosures and i wanted to get your input to if my setup is right or if i need some improvements to both enclosures. I have read a lot of different post on here but i figured i would post what i have setup and get your feedback so my babies grow to be big beautiful tortoises.

Lighting: I have the double lamp zoo med with a 100 w basking buld and a 75w night light(purple bulb). I notice when I get home from work at 7am the temp drops to about 75.

For there hide I have spagnumoss under the half bark and I soak that in warm water every other day. Not sure if that is ok?

I soak them for about 45 mins everyday

I use eco earth and repti bark is that ok?

For the humidity I’m still trying to figure that part out since I have glass enclosures.

Here are some pictures of both my enclosures I appreciate the feedback and please let me know what needs to be fixed, thank you again and hope everyone has a good day and Happy Thanksgiving

Attachments

• 65DA4D2E-3C99-49AB-AF42-17D9BBFABE4D.jpeg
    65DA4D2E-3C99-49AB-AF42-17D9BBFABE4D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 104
  • B5E713B8-4FDE-45DF-B858-7B63D1DD4136.jpeg
    B5E713B8-4FDE-45DF-B858-7B63D1DD4136.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 92
  • 3F789C42-79DC-4EA5-BC31-F145D61A252A.jpeg
    3F789C42-79DC-4EA5-BC31-F145D61A252A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • 56E5CA21-3EE3-4D73-A5C6-27A926197701.jpeg
    56E5CA21-3EE3-4D73-A5C6-27A926197701.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • 11F61097-E5C3-4D99-825A-AF6F1129BB36.jpeg
    11F61097-E5C3-4D99-825A-AF6F1129BB36.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 84
  • F97641AF-38CC-410E-B6F3-EBADBBA06CC8.jpeg
    F97641AF-38CC-410E-B6F3-EBADBBA06CC8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 81

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think that nighttime bulb is wrong. Does it make the enclosure colored red or purple? You should have CHE - ceramic heat emitter, which provides heat without light, like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHO7C/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
The water dishes have sides that are too steep, making it difficult for your torts to get in without flipping. You can use a plant saucer that is buried into the substrate. I think you might be able to find hides that don't take up so much room, since the tanks are so small.
You should look for a substrate with smaller pieces so your torts can dig. You should pour water into the substrate and mix it in with your hands to create a humid environment, once you have the enclosures covered.
I believe those round thermometers are inaccurate. You should plug the CHE into a thermostat so you can set the ideal temperature.
I'm concerned those enclosures are very small.

William Garcia

Whittier, CA
I think that nighttime bulb is wrong. Does it make the enclosure colored red or purple? You should have CHE - ceramic heat emitter, which provides heat without light, like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHO7C/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
The water dishes have sides that are too steep, making it difficult for your torts to get in without flipping. You can use a plant saucer that is buried into the substrate. I think you might be able to find hides that don't take up so much room, since the tanks are so small.
You should look for a substrate with smaller pieces so your torts can dig. You should pour water into the substrate and mix it in with your hands to create a humid environment, once you have the enclosures covered.
I believe those round thermometers are inaccurate. You should plug the CHE into a thermostat so you can set the ideal temperature.
I'm concerned those enclosures are very small.
The light is purple at night but I will switch over to CHE soon and what substrate do you recommend?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
The light is purple at night but I will switch over to CHE soon and what substrate do you recommend?
Most people use either fine grade orchid bark or coco coir. You don't have to buy at a pet store, you can get at a garden store. Make sure it doesn't have any additives. Don't get anything that has those white things in it to absorb water.
For the hides, you can get a small plastic container and cut a door. They just need to be a little bigger than your tortoises. They like to feel snug.

William Garcia

Whittier, CA
Most people use either fine grade orchid bark or coco coir. You don't have to buy at a pet store, you can get at a garden store. Make sure it doesn't have any additives. Don't get anything that has those white things in it to absorb water.
For the hides, you can get a small plastic container and cut a door. They just need to be a little bigger than your tortoises. They like to feel snug.

Thank you for all the info I really appreciate it. I took out the half barks and bought some plastic containers and cut out a door for them and put the moss in there. Also is this the coco coir you prefer?

Attachments

• 90A6235B-434F-428E-AB7E-C4F432A21A03.png
    90A6235B-434F-428E-AB7E-C4F432A21A03.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
I haven’t haven’t quite figured out how to add links to previous “important threads” but I’m sure someone will come around soon enough and help out. You will need to build some kind of top for your enclosure to keep in the heat/humidity. An open top just won’t do it, and unfortunately when you close that tank off I’m afraid it would be too small. Try and look up some forum threads on “enclosed chambers” for torts and try and come up with something like that. Here is an example of mine that works great and cost $70 to build... IMG_0124.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Some people start with old bookcases with the shelves removed. They line them with a shower curtain. That way they don't have to start from scratch.

William Garcia

Whittier, CA
I haven’t haven’t quite figured out how to add links to previous “important threads” but I’m sure someone will come around soon enough and help out. You will need to build some kind of top for your enclosure to keep in the heat/humidity. An open top just won’t do it, and unfortunately when you close that tank off I’m afraid it would be too small. Try and look up some forum threads on “enclosed chambers” for torts and try and come up with something like that. Here is an example of mine that works great and cost $70 to build... View attachment 223594

How does your glass open and do you have the measurements for this design?

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
How does your glass open and do you have the measurements for this design?

I built the enclosure to fit the table I have in my house... make sure it’s about 25” high (enough to set the lights inside). As far as the glass, It’s definitely the trickiest part, at least when going low budget. I bought 2 glass panels and glued wooden handles to them, bought some make-shift plastic tracking and voila! It will take a little ingenuity to get the glass right but it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
hello everyone so i have two baby sulcata’s that live in separate enclosures and i wanted to get your input to if my setup is right or if i need some improvements to both enclosures. I have read a lot of different post on here but i figured i would post what i have setup and get your feedback so my babies grow to be big beautiful tortoises.

Lighting: I have the double lamp zoo med with a 100 w basking buld and a 75w night light(purple bulb). I notice when I get home from work at 7am the temp drops to about 75.

For there hide I have spagnumoss under the half bark and I soak that in warm water every other day. Not sure if that is ok?

I soak them for about 45 mins everyday

I use eco earth and repti bark is that ok?

For the humidity I’m still trying to figure that part out since I have glass enclosures.

Here are some pictures of both my enclosures I appreciate the feedback and please let me know what needs to be fixed, thank you again and hope everyone has a good day and Happy Thanksgiving
I recommend instead of the 2 bulbs you are using a Ceramic Heat Emitter, they are great as they spread the heat evenly and emit no light so they are good for nighttime.