Feed baby sulcata cactus

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi can I feed my baby sulcata cactus everyday?
I would not recommend it every day. It is a fairly low nutrition food and growing babies need their nutrients. I feed it to them once or trice a week at most. Adults get it more often in spring and summer, at about two or three times a week.

For small tortoises I use young tender pads. I don't cut it or remove spines.View attachment Star Cactus.MOV

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
I wouldn't feed it to them everyday, but it is a great source of water. I recommend cutting it horizontally to make it easier for them to eat

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not recommend it every day. It is a fairly low nutrition food and growing babies need their nutrients. I feed it to them once or trice a week at most. Adults get it more often in spring and summer, at about two or three times a week.

For small tortoises I use young tender pads. I don't cut it or remove spines.View attachment 327592
Just wondering why now it's not good to feed every day?
Usually the response is to feed it as much as you want, it's a great food.
I don't think they meant to only feed cactus.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just wondering why now it's not good to feed every day?
Usually the response is to feed it as much as you want, it's a great food.
I don't think they meant to only feed cactus.
I explained why in my post.

Get 12 clutch mate hatchings in a divided closed chamber and feed half nothing but opuntia, and the other 6 a varied diet with opuntia once or twice a week. The difference will become apparent in short order.

If fed every day to a large grown adult tortoise that is also eating grass hay and grazing on weeds, grass, leaves, etc..., then eating some every day won't be a problem.