favorite scary movie?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
so it's that time of year when various undead and fantasy creatures are milling about. so what's your favorite scary movie. most scary movies are junk and tripe not worth the celluloid that their filmed on.
but I do like the Exorcist poltergeist and believe it or not paranormal activity 1 and 2. poltergeist the original of course Exorcist need i say more? Paranormal Activity one and two were very good surprisingly suspenseful have not seen 3 & 4 yet but will sooner or later no spoilers please.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Scary movies aren't like they use to be. I've always liked scary movies. But as I've gotten older I haven't saw one that truly scared me. I will say as a kid werewolf movies freaked me out!! Silver Bullet, America Werewolf in London, and The Howling made me deathly afraid to go camping as a kid and to sleep at night for many years. I occasionally have dreams of werewolves stalking my house and trying to break in! I guess I'm still a bit scared of them :)

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I really enjoyed the ring. Some people didn't like it but there are few scary movies with such an in depth story involved. The exorcism of Emily Rose scared me also. Especially cause it was based on a true events and it's just super creepy however you look at it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Scary movies aren't like they use to be. I've always liked scary movies. But as I've gotten older I haven't saw one that truly scared me. I will say as a kid werewolf movies freaked me out!! Silver Bullet, America Werewolf in London, and The Howling made me deathly afraid to go camping as a kid and to sleep at night for many years. I occasionally have dreams of werewolves stalking my house and trying to break in! I guess I'm still a bit scared of them :)

Silver Bullet got me too when I was a kid.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The late 50s and early 60s had some of the best, Today they would be considered tame and low budget. But one I remember is "The Tingler" The theaters had buzzers under some of the seats that would be turned on at different times and they had rubber life size tinglers that they would pull across the floor on a string to scare people. If they did things like this today someone would bring charges of some kind..

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
the original Nightmare on Elm Street. the waterbed scene freaked me out as a kid because I had a waterbed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't say it is a favorite, in fact far from it! The Exorcist came out when I was a young mother of three kids . Our washing machine and dryer were in the garage. I have to first of all say that I'm Catholic, and went through 11 years of Catholic school. This means catechism classes, mass on Sunday, etc. All my life I was told there is a devil and he's a bad dude.

After I saw that movie I was afraid to go out into the garage to wash and dry the clothes. When I went to bed at night I was sure that my blankets covered all parts of my body...heaven forbid a foot might peak out from under the covers. And to this day I make sure my feet are covered.

Every so often the TV folks will show that movie again, and when the commercial comes on to advertise it I have to either jump up and run out of the room, or quickly grab the clicker and switch channels. That one just scared the tar outta me.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
The conjuring scared me pretty bad. I almost had to leave the theatre

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Someone I consider a friend calling a remote control a "clicker" kind of scares the crap out of me.
I was raised on scary movies. As a very young kid, if feeling sleepy, I'd make a PB&J which kept me awake for them. I got the scary movie bug from my mom. We'd stay up late together to watch them. I like scary movies. They don't scare me.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Tough question to answer for me as I love scary movies all the orignal poltergeist most of the night mare in elm street all the jaws and rob zombies Halloween 1 and 2 house of 1000corpses the devils rejects there's to many for me

Only scary movie to really make me cringe in recent times was the evil dead reimagining from like 2012-2013

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
TROG, no sleep for several nights after that one. other than hair on the back of my neck twitching, all others are just normal scary. But the TROG really creeped into my mind.

Prairie Mom

TROG, no sleep for several nights after that one. other than hair on the back of my neck twitching, all others are just normal scary. But the TROG really creeped into my mind.
awww...man! I'm a loser! I had to look "TROG" up!

I MUST see this movie:D...
trog.jpg

Prairie Mom

I love this time of year, but admit that I'm not really into super scary movies these days. I'm a fan of gripping movies that can break up the tension with some good laughter. "Shaun of the Dead" is a masterpiece!

I also prefer them to have a positive ending...
I'm still angry about "The Night of the Living Dead..."
night of the living dead.jpg
Good classic zombies. This black and white 1960's movie dares to cross the great racial divide and casts a black hero to keep everyone alive and fight off the zombies. -Fantastic! He miraculously beats the odds and survives the night ONLY TO BE MISTAKEN FOR A ZOMBIE AND CAPPED BY HIS WOULD-BE RESCUERS! AAAARRRrrgh! It happens so suddenly! He's taken out with the rest of the zombies to be disposed of. End of film. Grrr...most horrific ending ever! I'm still mad! They can't do that to me!!! ....siiigh.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
My wife has found a pretty good dichotomy to American made movies, 1)only the bad guys die, or 2)everyone dies. There are a few notable exceptions but this does capture a vast majority. "Surveillance" is a favorite that has the bad guys living, and you are glad about it.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
everybody dies? Just like in real life.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I don't like scary movies - I'm such a scaredy cat!!
I watched paranormal activity and genuinely couldn't sleep for about 3 weeks lol

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Your gonna laugh but I wasn't allowed to watch scarey movies when I was a kid. Could watch the 3 Stooges either... Mom considered that violent. So, now I am making up for lost time. LOL !