favorite plant/weed for eastern boxie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Hi eveyone!
I was wondering what plants or weeds an eastern american box turtle would like.
I am always working on my enclosures and I always find great ideas from all of you
on this awesome forum! I want to plant something they would like to nibble on and enjoy. Does anyone have an eastern boxie that has a favorite plant or weed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have hosta planted in my gulf coast box turtle pen and I've seen "bites" taken out of the leaves. There is some wandering jew in my Eastern pen and I think they eat that a bit.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
In the Spring before any worms or bugs are available, my BT's will eat all the Hosta sprouts right down to the ground. As soon as I start feeding them and there are bugs and worms available, they stop eating any plants in the garden. (don't know how they do it, but all the hosta's grow back pretty fast) I have a strawberry patch, and they will eat the strawberries as soon as theiy turn red. There is also a fig tree and they will eat plenty of figs throughout the Summer and well into Fall. I've never seen them eat any other plants in the turtle garden. I usually make a mix of all greens, veggies and fruit for them so they get a veriety.

Status
Not open for further replies.