fast growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We have had our new leopard tort since 3/6/12. I am concerned that she is growing too fast. When she arrived she weighed 38g and today she weighs 73g, she has almost doubled her weight in just 4 weeks. Is this OK or should I cut back on her feedings? Any suggestions would be great

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
We see this question come up a lot. It's a very complex question, and ultimately there are too many factors that go into growth rates to determine if the tortoises growth rate is above or below normal.

My suggestion is to not be concerned about how fast the tortoise is growing, as long as your overall husbandry is good then the tortoise will grow smooth and healthy regardless of how fast or slow it is growing.

Rawbbeh

5 Year Member
My little guy has only put on abotu 15grams since I got him at the end of January. To me mine seems like a slow grower! Keep track of it and as long as you dont see anything healthwise to worry about...I'd say let him keep growing!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need to see a pic too. A nice profile shot will do it. When they grow like that it is a pretty good sign that you got a good one and that they are healthy and you are doing a good job with them. :)

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks for the fast replys and I will post pics as soon as I get home. She just turned 3 months on 4/2/12.

2012-03-2995103940.jpg

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Today she weighed 76g and is 2 3/4". That makes a 3g weight gain in 3 days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Zenna looks great. New growth looks fantastic!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you!! We are working really hard to keep her smooth. She is still eating everything in sight

Status
Not open for further replies.