Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddlerchick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
eating.jpg Hi everyone,

We just got back from our holiday gig marathon in San Diego and since it was nice and sunny and warm today, I took Farishta out for a walk around the front garden.

I set her down in some wild grass which she showed no interest in, but after making a trip down and then up the succulent-covered slope and almost having an "incident" with some newly planted cactus at the bottom, started noshing on the succulents right before my eyes!

Of course I was ecstatic and deeply relieved to see her finally taking in some nutrition, but at the same time I was worried that this might not be good for her. I do not know what kind they are and if they are toxic to tortoises, and I do know that they were planted a few weeks ago, so probably still are full of whatever the nursery puts them in. However there has been several days of heavy rain, so would that have leached off the nasty stuff?

Can anybody identify the succulents and let me know if they are ok for her to eat?

After a few mouthfuls I moved her back into the grass and then to the hibiscus tree and even showed her a nice, tender, young dandelion and a yellow wildflower, but she showed no interest whatsoever, and kept literally "running" back to the succulents and proceeding to mow them down!

Advice?? Thoughts??

Many thanks as always,

Brenda K

Last edited by a moderator:

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I have no idea how to spell this, but it looks like portulacca. I probably just murdered that word, but hopefully someone will know what I mean. I think it gets little flowers of varying color. I think I saw it on an edible list somewhere. Maybe someone can confirm or deny.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is portulaca :D and perfectly edible :D

Danny

Fiddlerchick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Whew!!!!!!

Thanks so much, Dee and Danny!

My dad used to have portulaca in the garden when I was a kid, but it was the grayish variety and almost always in bloom with beautiful red and pink and yellow flowers, so I didn't recognize these.

Just to confirm, can I let her eat the portulaca outside (rather recently planted but well rained-on), and keep offering her a wide variety of clean, organic culinary treats in her bowl in hope that she starts eating them instead of just throwing them in the pool (and what should I do if she doesn't)???

Many thanks again, and hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas,

Brenda

P.S. will post pics of her brand-newly remodeled house in a minute....

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can always add a few pieces of portulaca to her salad inside or better yet cut a few leaves and smear it on the salad. That should get her going. :D
Most Russians aren't picky about what they eat, I know mine aren't :p

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.