Fake Sir Lanka vs True Sir Lanka vs Indian Star

Yaouch

Hello all, I am new to this forum and been doing some research about star tortoise. Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between True Sir Lanka Star and Fake Sir Lanka Star Tortoise. Also how to tell the difference between Indian Star and Sir Lanka Star. They are all very nice but big price difference between them. My goal is to collect a few Burmese but at this point they are out of my price range so Im Looking to start with the cheaper star tortoise and work my way up.

Thanks in Advance.....

parrotlady

5 Year Member
The best way to tell the difference between a regular star and a Sri Lankan is be sure you are dealing with a reputable breeder. In general there is a few differences, check on the internet. It is my understanding that the main difference is geographic locality. I am on the road right now and do not have access to my files. If you are needing this information I will be back home in 10 days and can provide you with links to various sites with the requested info. Education is the best way to ensure you are acquiring the animals you want. :)

Yaouch

Thanks a bunch, I would very much appreciated if u can post some info and links whenu have a chance.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
I have bred True Sri lankan, Indian Star and Burmese Star for almost 10 years. There is no way you can tell difference between Sri Lankan and Indian when they are young. However, the difference will start to show up when they become older. The Sri lankan have Pyramid Looking , but Indian does not. Also The adult Sri Lankan is almost 3 times heavier than adult Indian Star (no matter male or female). let me know if you have more questions

glaerey

5 Year Member
I have bred True Sri lankan, Indian Star and Burmese Star for almost 10 years. There is no way you can tell difference between Sri Lankan and Indian when they are young. However, the difference will start to show up when they become older. The Sri lankan have Pyramid Looking , but Indian does not. Also The adult Sri Lankan is almost 3 times heavier than adult Indian Star (no matter male or female). let me know if you have more questions
Do you have pics to show?

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
order is from left to the right
Adult Indian Male---1.5 lbs.
Adult Female Indian---3.5Lbs...
Adult Sri Lankan Male---3.5Lbs
Adult Female Sri Lankan---8.2 Lbs
Adult Sri Lankan Male---$3.2 Lbs

I have a couple of pairs of True Sri Lankan to prove. Hope this make things clear. : )

True Sri Lankan VS Indian Star.jpg

Yaouch

Wow that's really nice stars u have there.... Have they breed for you yet? I am looking for a trio, if u have any hatchlings or yearlings for sale pls contact me.

Thanks for the info and the pics....

netjerk

Malaysia
order is from left to the right
Adult Indian Male---1.5 lbs.
Adult Female Indian---3.5Lbs...
Adult Sri Lankan Male---3.5Lbs
Adult Female Sri Lankan---8.2 Lbs
Adult Sri Lankan Male---$3.2 Lbs

I have a couple of pairs of True Sri Lankan to prove. Hope this make things clear. : )

View attachment 87279

If you don't mind, can you help to guess which of these are Indian or Sri Lankan?
InkedIMG_8448_LI.jpg InkedIMG_8452_LI.jpg InkedIMG_8454_LI.jpg InkedIMG_8459_LI.jpg InkedIMG_8460_LI.jpg InkedIMG_8465_LI.jpg