Fake Plants?

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hello all!
I have had a hosta and a spider plant in an indoor enclosure which were doing great, until they weren't. (He bulldozed the spider plant by knocking down the pot and kept flipping himself on it) I tried the hosta in soil and sank into the substrate but it died too.
Has anyone had any success in having artificial plants without their tortoise trying to eat them?
I'm worried my one year old redfoot will try to eat the fabric or plastic if I get fake ones. But I want him to have more areas to hide/explore etc.
Any advice would be appreciated whether real or fake plant related.
Thank you!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I used plastic one's in Speedy's tank when he was small and never had any problems . They might taste them , but seem to figure out they are not food pretty quickly . I would not use the fabric one's because you don't know what they use to color them .

100_7207.jpg

AmberD

Ontario
I used plastic one's in Speedy's tank when he was small and never had any problems . They might taste them , but seem to figure out they are not food pretty quickly . I would not use the fabric one's because you don't know what they use to color them .

View attachment 228724
Thank you for the feedback! Your enclosure is beautiful!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I use them and haven’t had any problems. Just make sure you buy plants that can’t be ripped apart. Some of the plastic ones are built in sections so that they can be reconfigured by the customer. And individuality shouldn’t be ignored. Some tortoises may just be too persistent and/or strong. Here’s my Hermann’s enclosure:

IMG_3764.jpgIMG_3763.jpg

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I use them and haven’t had any problems. Just make sure you buy plants that can’t be ripped apart. Some of the plastic ones are built in sections so that they can be reconfigured by the customer. And individuality shouldn’t be ignored. Some tortoises may just be too persistent and/or strong. Here’s my Hermann’s enclosure:

View attachment 228739View attachment 228740

Wow your enclosure looks so cheap and nice!

Niyuto

Miami, Florida
Creating a snake-friendly garden adorned with artificial trellis, Hanging Artificial Garlands, and bushes is a fantastic idea! Not only does it add a touch of greenery to your space, but it also provides a safe and appealing environment for our slithery friends. The artificial plants ensure low maintenance while still offering the visual appeal that snakes enjoy. Just make sure to incorporate some cozy hideaways within the foliage to mimic their natural habitats. It's a unique and creative way to harmonize nature and artificial elements for the well-being of our snake companions in the garden.

Niyuto

Miami, Florida
Updating my snake-friendly garden has been a game-changer! The artificial trellis, Hanging Artificial Garlands, and bushes not only add greenery but also create a haven for our slithery friends. These faux plants are a breeze to maintain while providing the visual appeal snakes love. I've made sure to include cozy hideaways within the foliage to mimic their natural habitats. It's a unique blend of nature and artificial elements, ensuring a happy space for our snake companions in the garden.