Fake or real plants?

alexksquared

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
I am looking to decorate a marginated tortoise tank. I do not have one yet, just getting it set up. For the plants:

-Do they mistake the fake plants for real ones and try to eat them?
-I was thinking of having both fake and real ones in the cage. Will they get confused on which ones they can eat?
-Any special recommendations on which ones to grow in there?
-Will they even grow with a UVA/UVB bulb?

Any more information you can think of will be much appreciated. I'd rather have to much than to little.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Torts quickly know that a hard piece of plastic doesn't smell good, let alone taste good. So, some artificial plants make things look nice, add some visual barriers, etc.

Good real plants - Pothos, spider plant, aloe. They help provide cover, humidity & food. Some folks like to have a pothos hanging overhead with the vines hanging down.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've got both fake and real plants. My tort tried to eat the fake ones for about a day before she realized they weren't edible and doesn't mess with them anymore.

alexksquared

Cleveland, Ohio
Thank you everyone. Your advice is helpful. Also I am laughing at a tortoise trying to eat a fake plant them realizing halfway into it that it is no good hahahaha.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Pothos needs almost no lighting at all. It's cheap and it grows very fast.
Spider plants live great with a cheapo LED plant light. They're bushy and send off runners that grow new plants.
Most other plants require more lighting to thrive.
Most other plants will likely be trampled into oblivion in a smallish enclosure.