Fake grass in enclosure

AztecPurse101

Location (City and/or State)
Kuala Lumpur
Can i put fake grass at my tortoise’s outdoor enclosure? There’s real grass in half of its enclosure but also an empty spot where the grasses dont grow. So i was wondering if its okay to put fake grass in?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Id put a good substrate down on the half, not use artificial turf. Tortoises try to eat it, nails get caught in the strands, doesnt hold moisture in.... Use a good recommended substrate. Much better.

AztecPurse101

Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Maro2Bear, i suppose coco coir is a good substrate to put outside but what happens if it rains? It’ll get soaking wet

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
Fake grass won’t do anything but make it look good for you. The tortoise doesn’t need it and would likely prefer just substrate if nothing will grow. Plus if they eat it you’ve got problems. As for outdoor substrate it depends on the species. I have very sandy soil so I amend my redfoots with natural mulch and some organic topsoil so it holds the humidity. I have to add some every year to maintain humidity and for egg laying. For my testudo and sulcata that prefer it drier I put some amendments in it so it’ll grow weeds but I keep it as natural as possible so it’s well draining. If you do amend the soil make sure it’s natural or organic. No dyed mulches or soil with added fertilizers or perlite. Best thing to do is build a compost bin in your yard and make your own soil amendments.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can i put fake grass at my tortoise’s outdoor enclosure? There’s real grass in half of its enclosure but also an empty spot where the grasses dont grow. So i was wondering if its okay to put fake grass in?
Why not just leave it dirt? Dirt is what tortoise walk on in the wild. Its what all of my tortoises live on.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The empty spot where grass doesn’t grow is perfect for your tortoise to dig into and scratch about. Beak up the surface a little and your tortoise will love it :)

I would put a shelter on there, one with no floor, so your tortoise can enjoy the bare earth to snooze on