Fading on shell?

Kugelette

Hello, all! New here. We are getting two redfoot hatchlings (hopefully Tuesday!!) from Vicki at the Tortoise Yard and one of them shows an interesting patch of faded shell coloration and I was wondering what caused it? Pictured (hopefully!) below. Vicki said they eventually take on a normal coloration as they grow, but I'm curious about the phenomenon. Thanks! Screenshot_20170311-033145.jpg Screenshot_20170311-033200.jpg Screenshot_20170311-033113.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Some things come to mind.
- limescale from the water
- abrasion from constantly pushing under something... or encounters with another tort
- heat damage which seems less likely in that location

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Some things come to mind.
- limescale from the water
- abrasion from constantly pushing under something... or encounters with another tort
- heat damage which seems less likely in that location

Just wanted to add it could be fungal as well. That white hue reminds me of shell rot but Vicki is very knowledgeable so this seems unlikey to me.

Possibly some remnants of the egg albumen???

Kugelette

I'm not sure how likely those options are when the babies hatch out like this. It's a mystery! :)

Andy27012

5 Year Member
I have several from Vicki that are the exact same color. All are doing well and it is not she'll rot as I am familiar with the symptoms.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Actually, this has been discussed before some time ago.
It isn't fungus or water stains or anything else...it's this: The neonate pipped his egg a little early and air got into his egg membrane. This causes the exposed part of the shell to dry out and shrivel ever so slightly resulting in what is essentially, scar tissue on the scute. This is because the shell hadn't quite 'hardened off' yet.
Sometimes these places cover the entire top of the carapace uniformly, but usually its only partial as in this case.

What causes the neonate inside the egg to start hatching a tad early is likely some sort of disruption--the egg suddenly being kept extra moist (or wet), or jostling around the egg, or maybe even a temperature spike. Not sure.
Regardless, all of the new growth that the little guy will produce will be normal in appearance and by the time it's an adult you won't notice these areas at all.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
My cherry head looked like as well. As she grew it faded, and now she looks fine.

Yo Adrien

Clearwater, FL
Hi. Just saw this thread. That's an adorable baby!! Was wondering if the odd patch had changed any? I also got my 2 RF hatchlings from Vicki last week, she was so great during the entire process, answering my (many!) Questions! :)
Who's your baby momma?! :D
Maybe we have siblings? Or clutch mates?! (Idk what they're called! Lol) Mine are eating a nice variety, not timid at all, enjoy soaks! Just SO freakin cute! :D

Attachments

• 1491357663448.jpg
    1491357663448.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 13

Kugelette

They are clutch mates, from Mrs. Slowcomb. No change in Rin's shell, I assume if it fades that it will happen after significant growth. Cute babies! :)

Yo Adrien

Clearwater, FL
My baby with the extra scutes is from Mrs. Slowcomb. She's turning into quite the eater these last few days! The other tort is very adventurous and active ( only one to flip several times so far :eek:), her mom is Minnie. I'm calling them girls for now, no real names yet. (Watching for personality traits to come out first)

Attachments

• 1491359803169.jpg
    1491359803169.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 15