Facebook groups suck

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
I guess you can debate me on this but honestly almost every time I see a post on a tortoise Facebook group I want to yell and like 25-50% of the time someone fights me over either humidity or diet or some other care. ? like they literally reply to my suggestions and argue with me.. I just don’t say anything most of the time anymore. ??‍♀️

Agathaade

Los Angeles
Have you been on the Reddit Tortoise sub??
I’m not in a position to give anyone lessons on tortoises so I point people here and link all the caresheets constantly.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Have you been on the Reddit Tortoise sub??
I’m not in a position to give anyone lessons on tortoises so I point people here and link all the caresheets constantly.
No is it bad? lol
I’m not at all saying I’m a professional or anything (at all) but I’ve had my big guy almost ten years and I’ve been through hatching failure syndrome to many times to ignore people saying they are Desert tortoises ?? so stupid... I do send as many people here as I can but I have read the information here for so long I can practically recite it word for word lol... so sometimes I do just try to answer the question or help with a care issue.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A lot of the turtle/tortoise groups, All of the "Worldwide" groups are run by the same person and their group of minions. For some reason they insist on giving out wrong information. Like "Cypress mulch is toxic", and they have all little kinds of ridiculous charts they use. They will immediately ban anyone from the group with facts or info that challenged their info. There's no room for discussion on these groups. They even infiltrate other groups not theirs and attack people in those groups who challenge them and try to take over the narrative of that group. I got ganged up on once by five or six of them in a group that wasn't there's for saying this same thing I'm saying right now once. I don't know what their deal is it's like some whole Facebook conspiracy or something to suppress correct husbandry info lol. They've yet to appear here on TFO yet though.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
So glad I don’t have Facebook.
it doesn’t hurt to get the proper information about these beautiful animals. Just a shame others feel the need to slam people who actually know what they are on about.
Facebook is just one big war ground.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No is it bad? lol
I’m not at all saying I’m a professional or anything (at all) but I’ve had my big guy almost ten years and I’ve been through hatching failure syndrome to many times to ignore people saying they are Desert tortoises ?? so stupid... I do send as many people here as I can but I have read the information here for so long I can practically recite it word for word lol... so sometimes I do just try to answer the question or help with a care issue.
HA! Welcome to my world. Forehead, meet wall. Wall, meet forehead. BAM!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I enjoy the pictures and discussion on the FB group "Tortoise Talk", along with a few of the others, but in general agree that they're horrible.

Jamie

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
So glad I don’t have Facebook.
it doesn’t hurt to get the proper information about these beautiful animals. Just a shame others feel the need to slam people who actually know what they are on about.
Facebook is just one big war ground.
I don't do FB. I don't even have an account. Less drama all the way around.
Makes it harder to stalk me that way, too. ;)

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I don't do FB. I don't even have an account. Less drama all the way around.
Makes it harder to stalk me that way, too. ;)
Lol I get where your coming from Facebook is a drama ground.
I came off it about 7 years ago I don’t want to see people putting a status up about what they did in the bathroom. Or what they having for dinner. Or an argument someone has had with there spouse.
facebook = war ground

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
A lot of the turtle/tortoise groups, All of the "Worldwide" groups are run by the same person and their group of minions. For some reason they insist on giving out wrong information. Like "Cypress mulch is toxic", and they have all little kinds of ridiculous charts they use. They will immediately ban anyone from the group with facts or info that challenged their info. There's no room for discussion on these groups. They even infiltrate other groups not theirs and attack people in those groups who challenge them and try to take over the narrative of that group. I got ganged up on once by five or six of them in a group that wasn't there's for saying this same thing I'm saying right now once. I don't know what their deal is it's like some whole Facebook conspiracy or something to suppress correct husbandry info lol. They've yet to appear here on TFO yet though.
That's because around here, sooner or later you have to be able to back up what you say... Put up or shut up, so to speak. Then you either learn something or teach everybody else. Sound science can be replicated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I find ANY group, including TFO, to have good points and bad. Each group has their own ideology and those who believe one way or the other about this or that method become rather rabid about it.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Lol I get where your coming from Facebook is a drama ground.
I came off it about 7 years ago I don’t want to see people putting a status up about what they did in the bathroom. Or what they having for dinner. Or an argument someone has had with there spouse.
facebook = war ground
I would agree with you guys but I mostly keep to myself, I only really have family Or very close friends on my Facebook and as I love a ways a away from them now it nice to see them doing well and to give some updates on our life. Except for in tortoise group where I get yelled at half the time

Last edited:

Zoeclare

Uk
I joined a UK Facebook group when I first got my tortoise all about foraging because I thought it would be helpful. I saw lots of photos of torties tucking in to big plates of lovely foraged weeds only for the posters to be berated because "overfeeding causes pyramiding" I left after a day

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Honestly the worst part is I’m just usually replying to someone asking about hatchling care and then someone will reply to MY REPLY... honestly it feels like they are little kids trying to yell over someone.. make your own damn reply if your so confident in yourself. Or when they tell me that the care should be like in the wild and I’m like my care is like the wild ? “no it’s not they live in the desert” it always makes them soooo angry when I post these photos and ask if that looks like a Desert?
78F2B4F0-4EA7-4733-9A10-B87510D1E197.jpeg5347D873-47B6-41E2-93AB-175A72DB33A4.jpeg

Reactions: Tom

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I find ANY group, including TFO, to have good points and bad. Each group has their own ideology and those who believe one way or the other about this or that method become rather rabid about it.
I think the difference is that here, if someone were to present @Tom with a "new, better" way of raising sulcata hatchlings, HE'D TEST IT. He's one of the few people equipped to run side by side experiments while controlling for all but the variable(s) being tested, and we would hear about it regardless of results.

If the "new, better" way was indeed BETTER (and could be replicated by people like @Tom and @Markw84, with "better" results), the guidance here would change. Or if the " new, better" way produced as good of results as the current best available guidance, TFO's guidance would likely expand to include the "new, other best" way of doing things.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
BUttttttttt, I love a good slow trainwreck and FACEBOOK Provides! IT amazes me what people will post. I add a few after vactaion photos, but never during! Now people tell you about ones they are planning! AND THE SECRETS oh my, its like they think FACEBOOK is their own personal secret keeper :p

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
BUttttttttt, I love a good slow trainwreck and FACEBOOK Provides! IT amazes me what people will post. I add a few after vactaion photos, but never during! Now people tell you about ones they are planning! AND THE SECRETS oh my, its like they think FACEBOOK is their own personal secret keeper :p
Sometimes it's a train wreck with a hazardous materials leak!