Eye Problem (Sulcata Hatchling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaceLoveAndReptiles

5 Year Member
One eye is open while the other is closed. I have tried looking to see if something was in his eye, but he pops his head back into his shell. He is in an enclosure with a substrate made of a mix of 90% Eco Earth, 10% Sand. His bedding area has an extra layer of Cypress mulch.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Is there any fluid leaking from his eye or is it shut and dry?

PeaceLoveAndReptiles

5 Year Member
dcwolfe said:
Is there any fluid leaking from his eye or is it shut and dry?

There doesn't appear to be any leaky fluid. It seems like it has moistness similar to his other eye (not too moist, but not too dry).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you take a child to the doctor, or a animal to a vet, the doctors have the benefit of seeing the patient first hand, and of being able to talk to you one-on-one. He can ask questions and find out more about the problem.

It is in your best interest and the best interest of your sulcata hatchling to provide us with more information. We need to know how you take care of the animal, where he lives, what he eats, what kind of lighting he has. You get the picture. The more you tell us, the better able we are to give you good answers and help.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I'll bet he just poked himself with a little cypress. If you put a little vaseline or antibiotic ointment in that eye, it might be all you need to do, and will give relief.

M

Maggie Cummings

If he were mine I would put Terramycin eye ointment in his eye 3 times a day...It's a wonder drug and will make her better...

PeaceLoveAndReptiles

5 Year Member
He lives in a Zoo Med Tortoise house for now since he is tiny. He has a UVA/UVB bulb 12 hours a day, a heat bulb. His humidity is kept between 80 and 90. His temperature is kept between 80-85 while his basking area falls between 90-97. He is fed a variety of grasses and other greens as well as a tiny bit of store bought food. He is given calcium, fresh water (distilled), and also has a turtle bone in his house for an extra source of calcium. I called the vet and they do not look into reptiles and most small animals. He's opened a bit more since the soak, but it is still kind of squinty. There does not appear to be anything in it, however.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen this with sand as a substrate many times and that is why I prefer not to use it. I agree with Maggie about the Terramycin ointment.

Also, distilled water is no good for reptiles. Sometimes things are left over from the distillation processes that are not so good to drink, and even if not, there are no minerals of any kind in there. Spring water or "drinking water" will be better if you have a reason to use bottled water.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I bet it's the sand. That's the only thing in the substrate small enough to irritate the eye. Try gently flushing it out with warm water in a small eyedropper. Otherwise, In a short while, the eye just may work it out by itself and he'll be fine.

PeaceLoveAndReptiles

5 Year Member
Okay. Thanks. I am going to change his substrate and avoid using sand in the future. I'll also flush his eye out and get him some terramycin ointment when I head into town later this afternoon.

Attachments

• image_1349299541255411.jpg
    image_1349299541255411.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 35

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I highly recommend you get rid of that water bowl too. They are death traps for tortoise. The side are too deep, too steep and too slick. Just a couple of months ago a member found their tortoise flipped over and drowned in one of those. Terra cotta plant saucers work much better, are safer, and only cost a couple of bucks.

PeaceLoveAndReptiles

5 Year Member
I only use that for soaking and I sit with him and watch it when I soak him. He has a smaller water bowl that I made out of a small tupperware container. I cut and smoothed the edges so he can just step in and out whenever he wants and I make sure that the water level is low enough not to hurt him. Thanks for the advice, though. I kind of figured this was bad after I bought it and saw it (much bigger than it looks in pictures). Saving it to use as a water bowl for when he's bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.