Eye prob....pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I got a baby Herman's on Wednesday...it hasnt eaten much since I collected it...despite trying numerous things. And it is now rubbing at its eyes alot. I had a closer look this morning and it seems that there is a white substance in the corner of her eyes....not much just a little. Is this likely to be an infection or just part of her eylid???

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Now that I have actually given her a chance to wake up properly...seems that the white stuff is no longer there...guess Im a little paranoid about my new baby!! But she does still rub at her eyes and stays in her hide a lot...is this ok??

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
If you just got the wee guy on Wed. Id think its likely still adjusting to its environment

was it Shipped to you? or did you pick it up from its previous owner?

shipping stresses the animal a bit more in the end and could make it take some extra time to "come out of its shell" so to speak.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
charlieparki, what types and size bulbs are you using and what distance are they from the substrate?

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a 18watt heat bulb and a reptile UVB bulb which is 12 inches from the substrate....

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
bdoyle said:
If you just got the wee guy on Wed. Id think its likely still adjusting to its environment

was it Shipped to you? or did you pick it up from its previous owner?

shipping stresses the animal a bit more in the end and could make it take some extra time to "come out of its shell" so to speak.

I collected it but still a bit of a drive to get home and her new living quarters are somewhat larger than the old ones so I guess it will take some getting used to...

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
TestudoGeek said:
what substrate do you have him in?
if you can, post some pics of your enclosure.

I am using beech chips...its what the guy I got him from was using??

I have been watching closely and it seems she only does it when she first wakes up...

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
I have no idea what beech chip are, but you probably want to make sure they're tort-safe.

Best substrates are:

a) soil\sand mix
b) just soil
c) just Aspen.

Take a look on the enclosure section for ideas & reference. dusty substrates can harm the eyes and\or the lungs.

also, be sure to soak the tort on lukewarm water every 2 or 3 days and keep a shallow dish with water inside the enclosure. babies can easily dehydrate which can be fatal.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Beech chips should be fine as long as it's not dusty. May I ask where you are at as beech is not a common substrat.

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
TestudoGeek said:
I have no idea what beech chip are, but you probably want to make sure they're tort-safe.

Best substrates are:

a) soil\sand mix
b) just soil
c) just Aspen.

Take a look on the enclosure section for ideas & reference. dusty substrates can harm the eyes and\or the lungs.

also, be sure to soak the tort on lukewarm water every 2 or 3 days and keep a shallow dish with water inside the enclosure. babies can easily dehydrate which can be fatal.

I have been soaking my baby every other day...the beech chips are tort safe but I am thinking of changing it.

What is aspen and where would I get it?? I am from the uk....

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
Beech chips should be fine as long as it's not dusty. May I ask where you are at as beech is not a common substrat.

Its not dusty......gave it a good airing before I used it also.

I am in the uk....Beech chips are quite common here. They are used a lot for other reptiles too like Gecko's and bearded dragons.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Aspen is similar to poplar (actually it is a poplar), it is a common tree in northern North America But I don't if it is available in Great Britain. I have seen it in travelogs of Scandanavia and Russia but I don't know if it is used in Europe like N. America.

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok...Im not sure if I can get it here....I know that a lot of people here use Hemp for their torts?? Maybe I will use the beech and some soil.

Just want to make sure I get it right for my little one...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Ah, the difference between continents. We can get aspen and hemp is a major no no (drug policy). As I said beech should be no problem.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
hemp is similar to aspen.

I live in Portugal, and Zoomed's Snake Aspen Bedding is the only I can find. You can find Hemp on ebay in the uk

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
shredded Hemp is now sold in the USA at Petco as is shredded Aspen.
charlieparki, shredded hemp should be available in petstores or livestock areas in the UK I believe.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
TestudoGeek said:
hemp is similar to aspen.

I live in Portugal, and Zoomed's Snake Aspen Bedding is the only I can find. You can find Hemp on ebay in the uk
In North America, aspen is Populus tremuloides (trembling aspen) or P. grandidentata (bigtooth aspen) while hemp is Cannabis sativa (marijuana) and as such a controled substance. Aspen trees are widely used for lumber, paper, and as we're aware animal bedding. Hemp is used for fiber as well as it's more famous use.

Status
Not open for further replies.