Eye irritation / swollen eye

franz_see

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Good day,

I'm currently at work and my wife called me up because our yearling sulcata got his left eye irritated and it's now swollen. He got it while roaming around in our yard (note: we let them out every day and bring them back into their enclosure afterwards).

It's already past 6pm where I live and the exotic vets have already ended their day. So I cant bring my sully to a vet till tomorrow morning.

What can I do for now though?

Here are some pictures of what he looks like.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439807406.740756.jpg

I asked my wife to soak him in warm water for now but it looks swollen still. I'm not sure if there's anything else we can do to fix the problem or at least prevent it from getting worse.

Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439807439.829870.jpg

Thanks,
Franz See

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Softly run warm water over it and see if you can get something flushed out. Human eye saline can also be used. It's hard to know if he got something in it, got it poked or a bug bite.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Aww, poor guy...that looks like it hurts! Let us know how he does after you flush it out.

franz_see

Philippines
Just came from the vet awhile ago. Bad news. Looks like he got poked by a twig or by his own spurs. We're not really sure what happened, except that his cornea is damaged. Vet said that there's a good chance he'll go blind on that eye :(

Needless to say, this is very very depressing. We have spoiled our tortoises so much - giving them a custom made enclosure, giving them spacious yard full of grass to graze, importing grazing grass seed,... then this happens.

Vet has given us these 3 eyedrops to give to Curtis. 1-2 drops each, 3x a day, for 2 weeks. After that, a follow-up check.

Im still hoping he'd be able to see with his left eye again. So any tips on what else I can do to improve on his condition would be greatly appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439898945.994960.jpg

Thanks,
Franz See

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Oh no...I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he regains the sight in his eye...but either way he is lucky to have you caring for him!