Eye irritants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
In the last couple of days, I've noticed my Russian's left eye has been bothering him. It looks as if the eyelid gets stuck, and you can see the skin underneath.

I've been thinking of reasons why this could happen. First of all, the substrate I used was a couple of months old. It was composed of coconut shell and retained moisture very well, perhaps the old, soiled, wet dirt caused the problem?

I just noticed his eye monday and I'm really concerned. He was even trying to scratch his eyes with his leg, so I know that this is irritating him a lot.
As of now, I've always given him baths every 3-4 days. Bust since two days ago I've decided to give him a bath every other day.

Basically I want to know if anyone has had similar problems and what you did to prevent any infections.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I had a similar problem before and I just made sure to spray him down at least once a day, and keep his substrate a bit more moist than normal, and it cleared up....

But I wonder if yours scratched his eye at some point? Do you see anything that looks like a scratch at all?

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
Cvalda- Tonka hasn't scratched himself, he merely rubs his eye with his upper leg.

Crazy1- I use a regular UV lamp, can't say which ones, though-I've long since tossed the boxes

skittles1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Daily soakings would be good just incase he is starting a respiratory infection. Also I have read that codliver oil clears up swollen eyes. I have some stuff from the pet store which is high in vitimin A, it is specifically made for inflamed eyes and for tortoises. You apply it directly to the eye and food. I have not had to use it, but if I remember it only costs 6 or 7 dollars. Moisten or possibly change the substrate.
Janay

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
Thank you very much, Skittles. I will probably take a trip to Petco/Pet Supplies Plus/PetsMart perhaps Wednesday (I can usually find whatever I'm looking for at one of the three).

The light is a compact UV bulb and was suggested by an employee at Petco. I watched a few video's this evening about lamps for tortoise enclosures. In one particular video, a 'self-balasted mercury vapor bulb' was highly suggested, true? If so I'll pick one up.

Also, I live in Michigan, and the snow is starting to fall, so my Russian hasn't been outside at all in the last month or so. Before, I took him outside for at least an hour every day. Sometimes when I didn't have to work and the weather was particularly good, I'd let him roam around for hours. Now he's considerably less active, confined to an aquarium that's roughly 28x14 in. Perhaps there's poor air ventilation? I was thinking of saving up for some extra dirt and put up my old kiddie-pool to good use.

(thanks so much for the quick help, too guys, I really appreciate it)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Tonka-Tamer said:
The light is a compact UV bulb and was suggested by an employee at Petco. I watched a few video's this evening about lamps for tortoise enclosures. In one particular video, a 'self-balasted mercury vapor bulb' was highly suggested, true? If so I'll pick one up.

Tonka-tamer, the compact UV bulb could be your culprit. here is some info about them. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm
I would recommend the MVB I use them and have had no problems with them. I am currently using the T-rex 100 watt and have been very happy with it.

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
Crazy1 said:
Tonka-Tamer said:

Tonka-tamer, the compact UV bulb could be your culprit. here is some info about them. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm
I would recommend the MVB I use them and have had no problems with them. I am currently using the T-rex 100 watt and have been very happy with it.

Thanks so much. Tonka has been more active since I cleaned the enclosure and replaced the dirt. Since his last two baths, I haven't seen him scratching at his eyes. But I will still check into the MVB, thanks a lot, guys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.