Eye Infections

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I have a question about tortoise eye infections. I've noticed that there has been A LOT of members saying that their torts have eye infections. I'm only in my 3rd month of tortoise ownership, so I don't know if this is commonplace for this time of year. Is this something that is rampant in tortoises? What are the indications? Is there something that can be done to prevent it before it happens? Is it a temperature or diet thing? Thank you in advance for any input!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Typically it is due to an irritant, like a sand substrate, coil type UV bulbs, or a sick tortoise due to too cool temps. I think those three would cover most instances of eye infection in a captive tortoise. Mechanical injury is another possibility, but that's pretty rare in my experience.

Most often when you see the puffy, swollen, eyes with all the discharge, its a sign that something is off in the husbandry. Just like other reptiles that you know so well, bright, alert, clear eyes are one of the indicators of tortoise health. I would not buy a tortoise with "sleepy" eyes. I want the eyes wide open, clear and looking at me.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks, Tom!!! I just gave the gang a once-over... crystal clear, bright, and alert! Looks like all is good here! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When an inexperienced tortoise keeper sees swollen eyes, they usually think its an infection. But the main cause of swollen eyes is because the tortoise/turtle hasn't been eating and is starting to suffer from a vitamin A deficiency. The second most common cause is because they're using a compact fluorescent or coiled bulb.

I've been caring for turtles and tortoises for over 35 years and I've never seen an actual eye infection (with the exception of the nictitating membrane thingey).

Status
Not open for further replies.