Eye infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonz14

5 Year Member
Hello!
Looking for some advice regarding my Russian Tort.
It's actually my sisters, so I'm unsure as to exactly how old he is, but she's had him for nearly two years. She took the Tort (Gonzo) with her when she moved out, but they didn't have enough room for it, so it was located on the floor of their bedroom in a homemade tortoise table which I'd made for Gonz when we had the warm weather. When he lived at my house before she moved out, he was situated high up. (We have dogs. :( )
I think that being on the floor has made him quite ill, and with the change of weather that might've done a bit of damage too.
I asked my sister if it would be best to pop him back into his vivarium over the colder months, to warm him up a bit, but turns out she's now sold the tank!
Anyway, he is now at my house, high up on my desk in my bedroom, still in his tortoise table, but I'm keeping an eye on him throughout the day to make sure he's eating regularly and what not.
My sister mentioned something to me about how she thought he was acting a bit odd, not moving that much, not eating etc.. And I noticed last night that he has what looks like a bit of his substrate stuck in his eye, so we gave him a bath, and tried to wash it out, but nothing.

I looked around on the web and in books, and from what I've read it sounds like he could have a little bit of an eye infection (his left eye looks very 'sunken').
I've included a picture of both his eyes to compare. He does have a slight issue on the other one too, but it doesn't look as bad (although I know it could be).

photostream

(Left)
photostream

(Left)
photostream

(Right)

Could it be the substrate that my Sister is using?
It's just like a wood chipping type substrate that she was recommended by the man in the pet shop.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou!
Sorry that this was so long! :)

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I can't see your pictures but from the sound of how he was kept you have several problems going on. I'd be willing to bet he's got more than an eye infection. Eye problems can be a sign of deeper problems.

What do you have him on now? Temps? hot end? cool end? diet? You said he was not eating...how long?

I recommend you get him to a vet. Often by the time a tort shows symptions of some health issue, it's too late.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi gonz14:

Welcome to the Forum!!

(A note to everyone reading this thread...if you right click on the little red square in the middle of the supposed picture, you can then choose to "open in a new window" and see the pictures)

The little piece of brown/tan stuff on the lower lid is only a piece of straw or some such stuck to the outside of the eye. Not a problem. But what IS a problem is how dehydrated the tortoise is. The reason his eyes are sunken in like that is dehydration. I don't think forced soaking is going to help. He would probably benefit from some subcutaneous fluids. If you have your vet show you how to do it, you can do it at home and save some money. In the meantime, find a bowl with high sides, or a plastic dish pan that he can't climb out of and put him and some warm water in there and just leave him there for about 30 minutes. Have the water come up to the middle of his sides. He will try to escape, but ignore him, only checking to be sure he doesn't tip upside down in the water.

No, the eyes are not infected.

gonz14

5 Year Member
Gonzo is doing a little better since having him home! He's been eating alot more, and when I say alot more, I mean ALOT! So that's a good sign, his eyes are looking alot better, the woodchip has gone, but they are slightly sunken still.

Reading about the thought on dehydration, he hasn't been drinking all that much. I change his water everyday, so I don't think it's that the water has bits in, or it's horrible or whatever (are Tortoises that picky?). He just doesn't seem bothered. Is there anything I can do to make him more interested in his water bowl, and his little bath?

Thanks for the response, he's definitely better than he was, but I think there's still a little while to go yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.