Eye infection

Josiewa

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Little man has been having some eye issues and I apply nature zones tortoise eyedrops once everyday as well as soaking him everyday...not seeming to get better. Any suggestions please?!

F5158E5D-FE86-4B6C-BBB7-F6F8C08302C2.jpeg2E01743F-A280-48F0-8988-FE916FBE413E.jpeg

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What kind of:
1. Lights
2. Heat
3. Substrate
4. Temps and humidity
Also Vetyricin makes excellent eye drops

Josiewa

Hawaii

Josiewa

Hawaii
What kind of:
1. Lights
2. Heat
3. Substrate
4. Temps and humidity
What kind of:
1. Lights
2. Heat
3. Substrate
4. Temps and humidity
So I just found out that the light I have is a problem, the substrate is eco earth on the bottom to maintain moisture topped with repti bark, and humidity is 70 ish, and temp is like 85-90

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I use strip lights for UV and CHE for heat only. you will want a t5 strip light (I use arcadia brand) and the CHE wattage depends on your size of enclosure.

It might just be the picture, but is your tort's shell slumped inward? or maybe pre-pyramiding?

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
Redfoot tortoise?? Sorry trying to get more info so I can help.
Even though you are in Hawaii I am assuming you still are monitoring temps? So you are using probably a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) to maintain temps? ((Which I also use for temps))

As for light to provide "artificial" sun light, I use tube bulbs like the link I am supplying.

Then I also have some "flood" type bulbs that provide heat and light. But my tortoise is a russian, so the care for your guy is gonna be different especially based on your location.

If I were you I would do some digging on the forum too for care sheets. Just to make sure all your bases are covered.
This is overall but has some info helpful for -everyone- essentially.

-Meg

zovick

10 Year Member!
I use strip lights for UV and CHE for heat only. you will want a t5 strip light (I use arcadia brand) and the CHE wattage depends on your size of enclosure.

It might just be the picture, but is your tort's shell slumped inward? or maybe pre-pyramiding?
And possible beginnings of MBD.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Little man has been having some eye issues and I apply nature zones tortoise eyedrops once everyday as well as soaking him everyday...not seeming to get better. Any suggestions please?!
You may need some prescription eye drops from a vet. I have always had good luck with Neo-Poly-Dex Veterinary Ophthalmic Drops which contain Neomycin, Polymyxin B, and Dexamethasone. As I said, you need a prescription from a vet to get them.

Josiewa

Hawaii

We got him like that, he’s maybe a month old and was born with many extra scutes and the middle of his shell debts inwards.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Turn off the light that is hurting his eyes now. He will be fine with no UVB until you get another light.

And remember, redfoot do not like bright light, and they do not bask. If the lighting is dazzling, just the brightness could be hurting his eyes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you've burned his eyes with the wrong bulb. Does the tortoise also have an outdoor enclosure? It should. An hour or two a day in a heavily planted well shaded enclosure in your climate would be great for this tortoise. Then you don't need indoor UV at all.

Josiewa

Hawaii
I think you've burned his eyes with the wrong bulb. Does the tortoise also have an outdoor enclosure? It should. An hour or two a day in a heavily planted well shaded enclosure in your climate would be great for this tortoise. Then you don't need indoor UV at all.
He has had these eye problems before we got him and that’s partially why we were hesitant but we wanted to help him out as much as possible so we got him. He has an indoor enclosure in the garage for humidity purposes, and we take him outside for at least an hour a day.