Extremely Swollen Eyes !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebjow

5 Year Member
Hi there, I'm new here. We recently adopted a Home's Tort who was innocently poorly taken care of. The previous owners were clueless with his care, although they did manage to keep him alive for the past 5-6 years.

We have made a lot of changes to his environment over the past couple weeks... I've added new substrate, a hide box, bigger water dish and ultimately upped the humidity and temps. The previous owners literally had some wood chips, a small dish for water and food and that was it.

His skin was really dry when we got him, his shell kind of dull. After some soaks and a well rounded diet, he was looking great. He has also had this wheeze, snort thing since we got him. I thought it was getting better but it really hasn't. He makes this click noise with his mouth, not real sure how to explain it.

Over the past couple days we have noticed his eyes looking different, kind of puffy, but not draining or anything. Today I go to check on him and his eyes are REALLLLYYYY swollen.

Do you think some of the new substrate could have gotten into his eyes? Or could he be allergic? Maybe a RI that's worsening?

Attachments

• eye.JPG
    eye.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 57

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jebjow and welcome to the Forum!

No, I don't think its the substrate. Have you actually seen him eat. I know you mentioned a more well-rounded diet, but have you seen him eat it?

The first main cause of swollen eyes is a vitamin A deficiency because the tortoise hasn't been eating. The second cause is more than likely a respiratory infection. It will help your tortoise to soak in baby food water for a few days. Using a smallish tub, like a dish pan, put in a jar of Gerber strained carrots, then add warm water so the mixture comes up to the middle of the tortoise's sides (where the top meets the bottom). Leave him soaking in this solution for at least 30 minutes. You can position a light over a portion of the tub to keep it warm.

In either case, vitamin def. or R.I. it will also help to make the tortoise warmer than normal. I would make the habitat an overall 85F, and cover it to keep the cool house air out.

We have several members here who specialize in the hingeback tortoises. I'm hoping they will have some words of wisdom for you.

Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Also be sure you are not using the coil type UVB bulb. Eye problems have been related to the coil bulbs. Good luck, hope all turns our okay.

Jebjow

5 Year Member
Thank you for your input. I wondered about a Vit A. deficiency. We have seen him eat, he actually eats best out of our hands. We give him leafy greens, earthworms, salmon... and a wide range of veggies and fruits: strawberries and tomatoes are his favorite. He also gets yellow and green squash, mushrooms, cantalope, bananas, carrots, canned pumpkin.

We just soaked him for 30 minutes and after doing some reading, I cleaned his eyes out with a sea salt solution. He has his eyes open now, I'm going to try and feed him. He didn't eat yesterday.

I'll be getting baby food carrots today, thanks for that tip!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I hope this turns out well, sorry I don't have and input, just best wishes! I can't imagine having one of my guys have problems and worrying About it

Status
Not open for further replies.