Extra scutes caused by TSD (Temperature Sex Determination)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Many times I have read in classifieds or forums that extra scutes means an animal being a female. I have heard extra scutes being associated with higher incubation temperatures, when breeders attempt for incubation resulting in more females.

I have also read that extra scutes can be a result in certain species regardless of incubation temperatures.

Does anyone know how accurate extra scutes can result in an animal being a female? I was curious due to people advertising animals as "most likely a female due to extra scutes".

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
My female greek was supposed to be a temp sexed male - she's definitely got an extra "5th" scute, but no one ever commented that the extra scute also indicated female instead of male. Interesting though!

Attachments

• TurboRear.jpg
    TurboRear.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 29

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Extra scutes really don't have much correlation to the sex of a tortoise. Extra scutes seem to happen in the first 3rd of incubation and the sex is determined in the second 3rd of incubation. So easy enough to get a male with extra scutes.

Danny

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
egyptiandan said:
Extra scutes really don't have much correlation to the sex of a tortoise. Extra scutes seem to happen in the first 3rd of incubation and the sex is determined in the second 3rd of incubation. So easy enough to get a male with extra scutes.

Danny

Thanks Danny! I didnt know about about extra scutes seem to happen in the first 3rd of incubation while sex determintation in the second 3rd of incubation.

S

stells

I have a young tortoise with extra scutes that is looking to be male...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I heard extra scutes can come from genetics or from the fluctuation of temps during incubation

Status
Not open for further replies.