EXTRA HIBISCUS LEAVES FOR SALE?

yaycolin

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
Does anyone have any extra hibiscus leaves they are willing to sell and ship to me? I can't seem to find any in my area that aren't treated with pesticides.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Does anyone have any extra hibiscus leaves they are willing to sell and ship to me? I can't seem to find any in my area that aren't treated with pesticides.
Are you sure you can't find Hibiscus in California?
I could send you some. But it seems a bit more difficult than it should be.
I'm in Florida.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Colin:

Living in an apartment for now, can be tough in finding natural foods. Grow one or two hibiscus on your deck in pots. Or one hibiscus and one Rose of Sharon. Both will put out an amazing amount of flowers and leaves all summer long once they get going. For this year, keep buying from @Kapidolo Farms . Find a good spring mix and look for a tub of arugula. Arugula has some of the highest calcium levels of any grocery green and a great cal/phos ratio. Use the spring mix/arugula as your base and add the Kapidolo Farms dry items and cactus chips to add nutritional density and fiber. Grow some of those tubs of cat grass and add clippings every day to the food. Your tortoises are still babies, so this is very doable and you have time for the hibiscus and rose of sharon take off. In pots, they can be taken with you when you move.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I don’t worry about pesticides as much as some. I used to pick hibiscus flowers from street trees in CA. Spraying and treating trees is expensive and I never once saw that kind of work being done when I lived out there. I would not feed turf grass off a golf course but I really doubt people are target treating hibiscus trees with chemicals, unless you are in some ultra-manicured neighborhood where landscaping budgets would support it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don’t worry about pesticides as much as some. I used to pick hibiscus flowers from street trees in CA. Spraying and treating trees is expensive and I never once saw that kind of work being done when I lived out there. I would not feed turf grass off a golf course but I really doubt people are target treating hibiscus trees with chemicals, unless you are in some ultra-manicured neighborhood where landscaping budgets would support it.
I agree, a mature Hibiscus is one super hardy plant!

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
Colin:

Living in an apartment for now, can be tough in finding natural foods. Grow one or two hibiscus on your deck in pots. Or one hibiscus and one Rose of Sharon. Both will put out an amazing amount of flowers and leaves all summer long once they get going. For this year, keep buying from @Kapidolo Farms . Find a good spring mix and look for a tub of arugula. Arugula has some of the highest calcium levels of any grocery green and a great cal/phos ratio. Use the spring mix/arugula as your base and add the Kapidolo Farms dry items and cactus chips to add nutritional density and fiber. Grow some of those tubs of cat grass and add clippings every day to the food. Your tortoises are still babies, so this is very doable and you have time for the hibiscus and rose of sharon take off. In pots, they can be taken with you when you move.
Thanks for the tips Mark, as always. I started growing some grass/weeds in some planter boxes indoors. I also sprouted two hibiscus plants and 1 hollyhock plant from seeds. They are growing nicely, but it will definitely be awhile until they are established enough to be fed off (the pic is from 2 weeks ago, so they have grown more.) I have a very large hibiscus plant growing inside my apartment complex that I have contemplated using, but I contacted management and they confirmed that they do use pesticides on the landscaping. I can't say for sure that the hibiscus plant was treated though.

In the mean time, I have ordered a lot from Will at Kapidolo farms. I have also ordered fresh mulberry leaves from eBay and my girlfriends neighbor has a grape vine that I have been able to get leaves from. My local grocery store also sells dandelion greens and cactus pads that I have been using. I feel like they are getting a decent variety, but it wouldn't hurt to be able to add hibiscus to it.

Attachments

• GRASS.jpg
    GRASS.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 7

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I am a bit shy to ask neighbors for things like leaves etc. I have friends that know every mulberry tree and hibiscus bush within a mile or so of their home, and all the folks that have the yards with them.

You might try a "Huntington Beach" post here on or in "next door" app. Mention tortoises and maybe a picture, you'll get hits.

I'd suggest further you can accumulate enough to dry some of your own stuff for later times.

If all that is more time than it's worth try my store https://kapidolofarms.com/product-category/foods-diet-items/.

belindajon

Orange County, CA
Hi Colin,

I’m in Huntington Beach and have some leaves. I also know where there are more.

Please feel free to message me.

Belinda