Expanding...? Help greatly appreciated

PiL71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I own a 5 yo male russian, and I have him in a 2x4x2 currently. I don’t really have the floor space to add on another 2x4 to my enclosure, nor do I really know how to go about doing that horizontally. So, Id like to know what you all think about this idea?

IMG_7934.jpg

I’d put the top half DIRECTLY on top of the bottom, with a ramp that has protective mesh over it so Herb cannot fall off. Also, I’d probably have one side of the top have sliding plexiglas like you see in pet stores, just so that I can slide either half to the other side for maintenance reasons, or just to bring him out. Should I cut my 2’ sides down 6-12” or so, or just keep them the way they are? I do have a front flap that I can open up also. The flap looks like this
—-> IMG_1542430167.648936.jpg
Thanks for any help, any and all is greatly appreciated!

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
It's a cool idea, but lots of members with similar setups have said that their tortoise rarely uses the second level. Every tortoise is different though.

Also, you might want to change out that humidity / temperature gauge. They tend to be inaccurate.

Best,

-Thomas S.

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
It's a cool idea, but lots of members with similar setups have said that their tortoise rarely uses the second level. Every tortoise is different though.

Also, you might want to change out that humidity / temperature gauge. They tend to be inaccurate.

Best,

-Thomas S.

Ok, thank you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It would be interesting to see how well that works. I'm sure other members can learn from the success or lack of it because a two story enclosure idea seems to be a very common one with members that have limited space.
I have never attempted this myself.
Please keep this post updated.