Exotic Animals As Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK

Here in the UK, I have a pet shop called l n d exotics and I walked in the otherday, and walked straight back out as for sale they had:
Skunks
Raccoons
Mini Foxs (cant remember proper name)
Rare Squirrels
Meerkats
Hedghogs
Personally I think this is cruel, especially the family of meerkats as they were only seeling in pairs!

What animals are sold in your petshops around the world? and what do you think??

Thanks xx

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
RE: Animals As Pets

The most exotic thing I have seen is Sugar gliders, hedgehogs, and prarie dogs. I agree some of those should not be that easy to get and keep as a pet, ecspecially meerkats! They need to live in a colony and how in the world would you house them properly??

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

I don't think you can have any of those here. Not really sure. It does seem sad, I doubt most people would give them the proper care. Could just anyone buy them or would you need a special permit?

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK

No here in the UK you can buy anything without a permit so it seems!
But how do you keep them?? Especially squirrels!?!?!
The fox's were £2000 for the pair :/
Was really sad!
Hope the rspca shut them down tbh :)

EricIvins

5 Year Member

You don't think some people think the same way about Tortoises? Or Reptiles in general?

As long as an individual can keep the animal properly, what's the harm? You get to keep your Tortoises right? So people that want to keep Mammals can't? What's the difference between the two, and why do you think different?

As Tortoise keepers, does that make you immune to the "Pet Trade" in general? As that seems to me to be the general consensus on this thread.........

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba

EricIvins said:
You don't think some people think the same way about Tortoises? Or Reptiles in general?

As long as an individual can keep the animal properly, what's the harm? You get to keep your Tortoises right? So people that want to keep Mammals can't? What's the difference between the two, and why do you think different?

As Tortoise keepers, does that make you immune to the "Pet Trade" in general? As that seems to me to be the general consensus on this thread.........

Well said! Where the heck is the "Like" button?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

I don't know enough about those animals to know if they can be kept happy in a domestic life. I don't think the meerkats could from what I have watched on TV about how they live. Sadley a lot of torts and turtles get bad care too :(

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok

They also have Sugar gliders and prarie dogs for sale here in Thailand. Personally, I didn't even know sugar gliders are that special... they're sold quite often. Squirrels are even more common and can be bought for a few dollar - I think most of them die.

But what I think is most exotic are the marmorset monkeys, that are sold as tiny little babies. They are quite expensive. I would never think of buying one. I think it's quite cruel to take them away from their mothers at this young age and the mothers grieving for their babies.

madhura

5 Year Member

I agree with Angi I feel its really bad keeping animals from their true environment like in wilds where they could stay amongst their kind. :(

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona

I've seen people keep raccoons, skunks and hedgehogs. Raccoons and skunks are highly intelligent critters and seem to adapt to domesticity well because of that. Hedgehogs, I don't know much about them really. But I do know that they are illegal in my state because it has been determined that, short of owning an animal preserve or zoo, a common citizen does not have the means to house them properly.

It's very very hard to determine if an animal is happy. They don't smile, most will not show affection, they wont do tricks. I like to believe that I do the best for my animals. I feed the special diets, I research what they need and what is most biologically appropriate. I forgo useless "modifications" like docking tails, clipping ears, declawing, etc. To me, animals deserve to be as natural and whole as we are allowed to be. My Great Dane still has natural ears and dewclaws, any cats I've had still had claws, my torts aren't painted for my own amusement, etc. (Well, spay/neuter always happens, but that I feel is necessary)

Now whether or not I'd own exotic animals, I don't know. A determining factor for me is the money it takes to house them PROPERLY. Not just stuck in a cage with a head of lettuce. I'd love to own acres and acres and make it as WILDlife friendly as possible, but I can barely feed everyone at this point in my life.

BUT just by participating in a forum that is aimed towards keeping animals healthy and happy, I think you're preaching to the choir on this one. The general population will be different.

(I'm always too wordy, aren't I? :/ )

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida

EricIvins said:

I agree with this. If one provides acceptable care, all is well.

IMO, exceptions to this would be animals such as cetaceans and pachyderms due to the natures of their social structures and vast "home" range in terms of area covered, but these are extreme examples. I am also of this mind regarding the great apes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Look how awesome the killer whale program is, even with a source that has virtually unlimited funds to provide any type of enclosure except the ones some creatures absolutely require, their natural environment..... some critters just don't do well being confined within what humans find as an "acceptable habitat" while others are absolutely more forgiving....
just my opinion :)

I have to say that I love each and every one of my CDT's and RES's, love them to pieces and feel very blessed to be able to host them...

However, "I" would not go out and purchase any type of tortoise...I do believe that there are WAY too many in rescues that there is no viable reason to. I do not believe in breeding of tortoise/turtles simply for the pet market/profit.

I think that people sometimes equate tortoise to the same as a dog or cat, but I have yet to hear about a dog or cat that has the ability to live 50, 60, 70, 80+ years.....dogs and cats are a species of animal that is forgiving in its evolution with man....very few others truly are, in my opinion :)

I know some will jump on me for my beliefs, which is absolutely our individual right :p , so my feelings I assure you will not be harmed...I am simply sharing my feelings on this issue.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona

EricIvins said:

It the same idea that not everyone should have a sulcata, if you can't give the tort enough room to be happy and healthy you shouldn't have one. The idea that anyone off the street can buy a meerkat or other exotic animal is awful in my opinion. I bought my Sulcata from a breeder, she asked what I knew about them, if I had a fenced in backyard, etc. Pet shops do not generally do that, they are a business for profit. I don't think people should be alowed to have/own whatever mammal they like, that seems rediculous. Imagine if it became a fad to own elephants, do you know anyone qualified to own one of those? Those are not domesticated mammals. I don't think people should have jaguars or gorillas, some things are not meant to be "pets".

SnakeyeZ said:
EricIvins said:

Well said! Where the heck is the "Like" button?

LOL, on facebook :D

Sky2Mina said:
They also have Sugar gliders and prarie dogs for sale here in Thailand. Personally, I didn't even know sugar gliders are that special... they're sold quite often. Squirrels are even more common and can be bought for a few dollar - I think most of them die.

But what I think is most exotic are the marmorset monkeys, that are sold as tiny little babies. They are quite expensive. I would never think of buying one. I think it's quite cruel to take them away from their mothers at this young age and the mothers grieving for their babies.

Your points are exactly why not every animal should be sold into the pet trade, it is sad and cruel what people do to animals.

October said:
I've seen people keep raccoons, skunks and hedgehogs. Raccoons and skunks are highly intelligent critters and seem to adapt to domesticity well because of that. Hedgehogs, I don't know much about them really. But I do know that they are illegal in my state because it has been determined that, short of owning an animal preserve or zoo, a common citizen does not have the means to house them properly.

It's very very hard to determine if an animal is happy. They don't smile, most will not show affection, they wont do tricks. I like to believe that I do the best for my animals. I feed the special diets, I research what they need and what is most biologically appropriate. I forgo useless "modifications" like docking tails, clipping ears, declawing, etc. To me, animals deserve to be as natural and whole as we are allowed to be. My Great Dane still has natural ears and dewclaws, any cats I've had still had claws, my torts aren't painted for my own amusement, etc. (Well, spay/neuter always happens, but that I feel is necessary)

Now whether or not I'd own exotic animals, I don't know. A determining factor for me is the money it takes to house them PROPERLY. Not just stuck in a cage with a head of lettuce. I'd love to own acres and acres and make it as WILDlife friendly as possible, but I can barely feed everyone at this point in my life.

BUT just by participating in a forum that is aimed towards keeping animals healthy and happy, I think you're preaching to the choir on this one. The general population will be different.

(I'm always too wordy, aren't I? :/ )

If I win the lotto will you come help me run a nature preserve and rescue!!?? I would love to do that! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I see no problem with it as long as the animals are properly cared for. And I don't see it as any different than our tortoises.

I'm always surprised when I see people on a pet related forum railing against other people and their choice of pets. We are here, on this forum, because we keep animals in an artificial captive environment for our own selfish reasons. I think that most of us do a fine job of caring for them and keeping them "happy". I hope that the people who buy those pets in the UK will care for them as well as we care for our beloved animals.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but having personally worked with marine mammals, all types of primates and pachyderms, I see them as no different. As long as their needs can be met, I have no problem with putting them in a captive environment.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona

Tom said:
I see no problem with it as long as the animals are properly cared for. And I don't see it as any different than our tortoises.

I'm always surprised when I see people on a pet related forum railing against other people and their choice of pets. We are here, on this forum, because we keep animals in an artificial captive environment for our own selfish reasons. I think that most of us do a fine job of caring for them and keeping them "happy". I hope that the people who buy those pets in the UK will care for them as well as we care for our beloved animals.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but having personally worked with marine mammals, all types of primates and pachyderms, I see them as no different. As long as their needs can be met, I have no problem with putting them in a captive environment.

Oh boy, I respectfully and completely disagree! It is impossible for a human to meet the requirements of an elephant or gorilla. Unless you can keep them with their entire family unit and allow them to do all of the things they would do in the wild, which cannot be done. I hate seeing the elephants at the zoo rock back and forth out of boredom! It makes me cry, and watching circus animals is even worse! Pretending you are providing everything they need just because you are offering food, water, and enrichment is naive to say the least! :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I can see this is going to be a hot button topic. I just want to remind everyone that it is quite ok to have different opinions on this subject, but please remember, you may not change anyone's opinion and there is no need to be rude and insulting. Just state your opinion and maybe why you feel that way and don't get upset at anyone who doesn't share that opinion.

I'm not singling anyone out...so far you've all been very nice.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I agree Jenn....

In my childhood days my Mother use to take me to LA Zoo, San Diego Zoo, Sea World and even Marine Land(when it use to be open to the public)...as a child I use to love to see the animals and the "tricks" they performed...

I remember this one time, my Mother and myself where at Sea World, I clearly remember walking up to look at the whales (Orcas) through the glass, I remember leaning up against that cold glass with one cheek, a whale glided over towards me, likely observing me out as I them, as the whale lingered I locked eyes with this whale and I suddenly had this overwhelming feeling of sadness, I cried. I suddenly had a moment in life where I realized just the magnitude of this whale, so for ever imprisoned in that horrible cold place.... it still brings tears to my eyes to this day so many years later.

I have taken my son to the zoos, sea world... more when he was very young (his fav are the polar bears, sharks and of course orcas)
my son is 11 years old--will be 12 next month and I have not taken him to any of them since he was 6 or 7.

When I was young, my mother was not a conservationist so to speak, she did however teach me that everything deserves a chance at life. I have become an adult with a conservationist mind along with wildlife (as well as humankind) should learn to preserve, conserve and promote change to allow life.

My son is becoming more aware of the life around him (as should with age) and with this I know he is torn, as I am, yes we want to see the awesome delights at the zoos and marine parks but kinda don't because some of those creatures should not be there.

There is nothing in the world that would ever convince me that an Orca should be confined to a tank in a marine park and then have us all believe that their "needs are being met" by food, vet care...while their other needs get left to die...the need to chase prey, the need to be with their pod, their need to teach their young to hunt, their need to feel the ocean around them....nothing anyone can say.

Elephants are also a horribly tortured animal within captivity as well, disgusting is what it is.

All in my opinion

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona

Kymiie said:

Here in the UK, I have a pet shop called l n d exotics and I walked in the otherday, and walked straight back out as for sale they had:
Skunks
Raccoons
Mini Foxs (cant remember proper name)
Rare Squirrels
Meerkats
Hedghogs
Personally I think this is cruel, especially the family of meerkats as they were only seeling in pairs!

What animals are sold in your petshops around the world? and what do you think??

Thanks xx

Driving from Phoenix, Arizona to Missoula, Montana I once saw a jackalope for sale.......

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona

ascott said:
I agree Jenn....

In my childhood days my Mother use to take me to LA Zoo, San Diego Zoo, Sea World and even Marine Land(when it use to be open to the public)...as a child I use to love to see the animals and the "tricks" they performed...

I remember this one time, my Mother and myself where at Sea World, I clearly remember walking up to look at the whales (Orcas) through the glass, I remember leaning up against that cold glass with one cheek, a whale glided over towards me, likely observing me out as I them, as the whale lingered I locked eyes with this whale and I suddenly had this overwhelming feeling of sadness, I cried. I suddenly had a moment in life where I realized just the magnitude of this whale, so for ever imprisoned in that horrible cold place.... it still brings tears to my eyes to this day so many years later.

I have taken my son to the zoos, sea world... more when he was very young (his fav are the polar bears, sharks and of course orcas)
my son is 11 years old--will be 12 next month and I have not taken him to any of them since he was 6 or 7.

When I was young, my mother was not a conservationist so to speak, she did however teach me that everything deserves a chance at life. I have become an adult with a conservationist mind along with wildlife (as well as humankind) should learn to preserve, conserve and promote change to allow life.

My son is becoming more aware of the life around him (as should with age) and with this I know he is torn, as I am, yes we want to see the awesome delights at the zoos and marine parks but kinda don't because some of those creatures should not be there.

There is nothing in the world that would ever convince me that an Orca should be confined to a tank in a marine park and then have us all believe that their "needs are being met" by food, vet care...while their other needs get left to die...the need to chase prey, the need to be with their pod, their need to teach their young to hunt, their need to feel the ocean around them....nothing anyone can say.

Elephants are also a horribly tortured animal within captivity as well, disgusting is what it is.

All in my opinion

This brought tears to my eyes, I know exactly what you mean. I feel so torn at times also and I have left zoos in tears before when enclosures were too small or animals appeared lost and withdrawn or bored. I want so much to see them and be close to them, but would prefer they were free to live in the wild where most of them belong. This is a tough topic and many of us feel close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.