Exo Terra Solar Glo for 30 gallon tortoise terrarium

Smile

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

First off, I really love this forum! I hope to be an active member of it for years to come. Anyways, I'm wondering if a 125-Watt Solar Glo UVB bulb would be too much for a 30 gallon tortoise terrarium, as in will it get too hot for the little guy? Also, will these bulbs fit into one of those Goose-necked lamps made by Zilla pictured here?
31rAvaWLNCL.jpg

I'm a soon-to-be hatchling sulcata tortoise owner in a few weeks. I'm going to try to get one at the White Plains NY reptile expo in about three weeks and if I have no luck there, I plan on getting one from Lance Lindgren.

Thanks in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, and a 30 gallon is really too small for most tortoises. What species are you talking about? I would go with a small light though for sure.

Smile

5 Year Member
Yes, and a 30 gallon is really too small for most tortoises. What species are you talking about? I would go with a small light though for sure.
It's going to be a hatchling sulcata tortoise as mentioned in the OP, but I obviously don't plan on keeping him in there forever.

I know you aren't allowed to use certain bulbs for reptiles because they blind them, but would this work as a UVB bulb for a sulcata? If yes, then I plan on getting an additional bulb for heating the enclosure.

502401M_ReptiSun_10-0_Mini.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
NO COILS! Ever ever ever. They can cause lethargy, lack of appetite, hyper torts, heath problems and blindness :( Tubes are WAY WAY better! They sell tube UVBs at petstores, or you can use an MVB, which has both in a non-coil package :D

Smile

5 Year Member
NO COILS! Ever ever ever. They can cause lethargy, lack of appetite, hyper torts, heath problems and blindness :( Tubes are WAY WAY better! They sell tube UVBs at petstores, or you can use an MVB, which has both in a non-coil package :D
Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. I've decided to stick with the Solar Glo bulb since it's an all-in-one bulb and relatively cheap compared to other MVBs. I'm still new here so hopefully you can help me out with this... where on the forum do I ask about sulcata temperatures? Such as what they can tolerate for short periods of time.