Exciting news? I think...?

ellen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sonoran Desert
Hey everyone! I'm just stopping off to say it's been a while. Merlin and Morgan are still doing great. They finished their first brumation successfully and they're now up and about, wandering around and being cute. Sadly I broke their scale on accident so I need to acquire a new one to measure them with.

They inspired me to go back to school and study environmental science and conservation biology. I was accepted into the University of Arizona in November (I applied really early), I received some awesome scholarships, and I will be attending in the fall with the hopes of working in desert tortoise conservation.

I'm very nervous, but when I look at Merlin and Morgan's cute little faces I can't help but want to do my part to make sure desert tortoises continue to live on and hopefully thrive again someday. They're a little pyramided, but considering I knew nothing about reptiles at all and suddenly had two twin hatchlings I'm quite happy they look as good as they do. This isn't their enclosure it's just one of the pots I grow some extra food in. I decided to let them do some "pruning" today and pick out what they wanted for lunch.

CIcvwSIUcAElOBN.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Good for you.
And Merlin and Morgan look great.
Good luck with your studies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It is exciting news!! Way to go and I hope you really enjoy school. I am jealous of you. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hey everyone! I'm just stopping off to say it's been a while. Merlin and Morgan are still doing great. They finished their first brumation successfully and they're now up and about, wandering around and being cute. Sadly I broke their scale on accident so I need to acquire a new one to measure them with.

They inspired me to go back to school and study environmental science and conservation biology. I was accepted into the University of Arizona in November (I applied really early), I received some awesome scholarships, and I will be attending in the fall with the hopes of working in desert tortoise conservation.

I'm very nervous, but when I look at Merlin and Morgan's cute little faces I can't help but want to do my part to make sure desert tortoises continue to live on and hopefully thrive again someday. They're a little pyramided, but considering I knew nothing about reptiles at all and suddenly had two twin hatchlings I'm quite happy they look as good as they do. This isn't their enclosure it's just one of the pots I grow some extra food in. I decided to let them do some "pruning" today and pick out what they wanted for lunch.

CIcvwSIUcAElOBN.jpg
Adorable torts - GOD bless.

Don't panic...take it easy and GOOD LUCK in your studies.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
Thanks everyone! :)

My life plan was to get an associate degree, work at any old job and do freelance artwork on the side. Sadly, I'm experiencing a lot of joint pain so I'm off to the doctor and I've changed my plans. I've only ever been good at drawing. I've been drawing since I could hold a crayon and when I was in high school I desperately wanted to go to art school for college. This change of plans has completely shocked my family and it still doesn't quite feel real. My schedule for this semester has chemistry, trigonometry, and biology all at once. Yikes.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It is wonderful how your torts have inspired you to do this and I wish you every success with your venture and chosen vocation, The torts need someone like you on their side, Congratulations and good luck to you Ellen.