Evil substrate

Lillysmytort

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
Answer quickly please

This is the new substrate I have for Lilly to help with the humidity... Is this right? It came in a block and I had to soak it...

It looks like the particles are very small... But as long as I keep it misted, it should be ok right?

BTW... This is NOT her house it's just a container for the coconut...

Please answer quickly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 114

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Answer quickly please

Yes, coco coir is good at holding in humidity [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] you want the coco coir to be moist, but not wet enough where if you squeeze it, water would come out.

And yes, you can mist it to keep it moist. Do you have a thermometer and (I forget the name of it) something to measure the humidity in your little one's enclosure?

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Answer quickly please

Be sure to keep it moist!! And when feeding be sure the plate or rock is big enough because that stuff sticks to the veggies or fruit (redfoots) like crazy!!!

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
RE: Answer quickly please

Lillysmytort said:
This is the new substrate I have for Lilly to help with the humidity... Is this right? It came in a block and I had to soak it...

It looks like the particles are very small... But as long as I keep it misted, it should be ok right?

Please answer quickly

That's compressed coconut fiber. I'd mix it in with a larger particle substrate, such as cypress or orchid bark. When it's just that stuff by itself, it tends to get all over their faces in their shells.

-Jen

Lillysmytort

Vermont
RE: Answer quickly please

I have an antique hot plate that I will be putting her food dish on so if she pulls it out, she won't (hopefully) get it covered in yuck...

I don't have the thermometer yet, next week...

LLLReptile said:
Lillysmytort said:

Please answer quickly

That's compressed coconut fiber. I'd mix it in with a larger particle substrate, such as cypress or orchid bark. When it's just that stuff by itself, it tends to get all over their faces in their shells.

-Jen

Like this....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 102

Lillysmytort

Vermont
PANIC

Ok... I changed Lilly's substrate and rearranged her house... She ended up self soaking in her water dish for a long time. It scared me... Is this normal?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
RE: PANIC

Russians are usually very curious and anxious to explore any changes. I have decided that letting my Russians watch when I make changes is one way to ease their discomfort. I make most changes in stages and let them explore as I make the change; at least when it's safe to do so.

What substrate change did you make?

Lillysmytort

Vermont

The coco and bark... For the humidity...

I was just concerned that she was freezing... I soaked her earlier in the day, and then another 25 minute self soak.

Can she be in the water to long?

WillTort2

5 Year Member

What was the old substrate and what type of bark is in with the coco coir?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I think she is fine. Too long would be like a day, not just less then an hour like she did.

Lillysmytort

Vermont
I HATE THE COCO COIR with every ounce of my being...
I just put it in yesterday, I can't stand it... It's sticking to everything. She even hates it. She wouldn't eat tonight because she was to busy trying to get it out of her eyes with legs COVERED in that crap. I mixed it with some bark but it's still horrible. I have spayed it down but.... UGH

I need suggestions. I'm losing my mind.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I pack mine down then add cypress mulch on top . You can get cypress mulch at Home Depot cheaper than at the pet store .

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
mike taylor said:
I pack mine down then add cypress mulch on top . You can get cypress mulch at Home Depot cheaper than at the pet store .

I do the same as Mike suggested. Works like a charm

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Take your hand and flatten all down. Really pack it. When its done right and it settles in it makes kind of a spongy, but solid floor, but it makes a lot less messy. As it dries out a bit it becomes much less messy. When you first rehydrate it and put it in the enclosure, it is often more sticky.

So hand pack it, let it dry out a bit, and give it some time to settle in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the club!!! I hate it too. Besides the getting-stuck-to-everything part of the equation, its the strings that end up sticking out of their mouths and out of their cloaca. Give me orchid bark any day.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ok, it's time for me to speak up. I love it. Absolutely LOVE IT.

My coir must be magical lol. Not only does it smell amazing but it doesn't stick to "everything" in my chambers like I read about on here . The leopards hardly even drag it in the water dishes.

Every time I read a "hate coir" post, I scratch my head... :shy: