Ethical tortoise supplier in Hong Kong?

plaincrois

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hello! My partner and I are looking into welcoming a tortoise into our home and are exploring our options. We currently live in Hong Kong but expect to move back to Canada in our lifetime, and so I've also reached out the CIFA to figure out if there is any paperwork we can make sure we have from day 1 (if anyone has tips on that, let me know!)

But my biggest worry right now is where to get a tortoise. There are a good number of stores and no shortage of tortoise but I'm a bit freaked out about the ethics. I've seen multiple siamese turtles for sale (which I understand should be rare), and endangered species are not uncommon here. I think we've settled on a Leopard Tortoise because they are so common and seems less sketchy, but I wanted to get a sense of navigating what to look for when shopping in terms of clear markers of health, supplier ethics, or anything else to look out for.

And if any one has the contact for a reputable tortoise supplier in Hong Kong, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know anything about Hong Kong.
Is there any way for you to get in touch with a breeder? Then you could ask questions about how the baby was started...what substrate did they use? Were the babies soaked? Were the babies kept in a breeder box after hatching?

If you can't deal directly with a breeder, then you have to just take a chance on a tort from the pet shop.

Look for signs of poor health...watery sore eyes, any skin problems, if a hatchling, is the yolk sac completely absorbed? Is the umbilical scar healed? Is he active?

Here is the care sheet for leopards. Get your enclosure and all the equipment up and running before you bring home the tortoise, no matter the age or size.
We do have other members from Hong Kong. Hopefully they will spot this post and offer suggestions.

huaban

Cypress, TX
First of all, you would need to figure it out how to legally relocate your tortoise from Hong Kong to Canada, since you are planning move to Canada. From my knowledge, keeping tortoises are prohibited by law in mainland China, no matter what species. Hong Kong does have a different legislation system, however, do some research before getting yourself in trouble.
Knowing what healthy signs to look for is very important! It is not necessary to look hard for an ethical/reputable breeder, because no one is 100% solid expert. Some breeders are making mistakes too. So do some solid research on the specie you are trying to keep, talk to experienced forum members, and set up the correct equipment are definitely the things you are going to do.
Hope you can find a healthy baby leopard tortoise as your new family member. Good luck.

plaincrois

Hong Kong
First of all, you would need to figure it out how to legally relocate your tortoise from Hong Kong to Canada, since you are planning move to Canada. From my knowledge, keeping tortoises are prohibited by law in mainland China, no matter what species. Hong Kong does have a different legislation system, however, do some research before getting yourself in trouble.
Knowing what healthy signs to look for is very important! It is not necessary to look hard for an ethical/reputable breeder, because no one is 100% solid expert. Some breeders are making mistakes too. So do some solid research on the specie you are trying to keep, talk to experienced forum members, and set up the correct equipment are definitely the things you are going to do.
Hope you can find a healthy baby leopard tortoise as your new family member. Good luck.
Yes -- working on figuring out the paperwork and no, keeping tortoises are not illegal here.

Thanks!

plaincrois

Hong Kong
I don't know anything about Hong Kong.
Is there any way for you to get in touch with a breeder? Then you could ask questions about how the baby was started...what substrate did they use? Were the babies soaked? Were the babies kept in a breeder box after hatching?

If you can't deal directly with a breeder, then you have to just take a chance on a tort from the pet shop.

Look for signs of poor health...watery sore eyes, any skin problems, if a hatchling, is the yolk sac completely absorbed? Is the umbilical scar healed? Is he active?

Here is the care sheet for leopards. Get your enclosure and all the equipment up and running before you bring home the tortoise, no matter the age or size.
We do have other members from Hong Kong. Hopefully they will spot this post and offer suggestions.

Yes! We're working on an outdoor enclosure + smaller indoor enclosure. I'm thinking it would be great to get a variety of grasses going before bringing a tortoise home.

I'm thinking of looking for a Juvenile, just because I don't think I could handle Hatchling Failure Syndrome.

Great tips and questions! When I asked briefly the other day, the tips the shopkeepers gave was: soak them once a day for 15 minutes and feed them turtle food / pellets.

Hope the Hong Kong members find this!

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
It is my understanding Canada dose not allow any tortoise to be imported even if it’s an existing pet. So I don’t think you will be able to take it with you when you relocate to Canada. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am.

plaincrois

Hong Kong
It is my understanding Canada dose not allow any tortoise to be imported even if it’s an existing pet. So I don’t think you will be able to take it with you when you relocate to Canada. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am.
Yeah, it's confusing. I'm asking the authorities for clarification as well.

But saw this:

And figured that means it's not impossible?