Esmeralda needs surgery

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
She is a little beauty. How is your female Russian @Sleppo? Any egg laying?

No egg laying or egg laying behavior in a few weeks. She's eating, acting normal, no weight fluctuations or anything so I am hoping it was a fluke. I am still watching her closely and keeping what happened to Esmeralda in the back of my mind. Thanks for asking! :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
She's looking really good and certainly enjoying the sunshine.
I'm so pleased she seems to be making a full recovery.
Onward and upward Essie!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
How is Esmeralda these days?

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
How is Esmeralda these days?

Hi Lyn

She’s doing great. Appetite has doubled (guess she has more room now) and weirdly she’s eating all kinds of stuff she would never normally touch - even tolerating hay! I have no idea whether this is purely coincidental. Wee is back to normal, after the pale green hue we experienced weeks after, which is a relief as I was concerned about liver damage.

She’s overwintering at the moment and isn’t even being mardy about it; she’s obviously just more comfortable and happier. She appears to have lots of new growth too - some lovely marbling coming through.

740E609E-CF43-4E35-ABCF-93017176E676.jpeg F81E728D-1962-48F3-848F-AC3E3413F7C1.jpeg

I need to take her back to get her blood panel done again, just to check that everything is ‘normal’, but I’m not in a huge rush. She’s been through a lot and vet visits are stressful, so going to leave her be for the time being.

My insurance also came through, amazingly. There was a worrying paragraph in my policy about ‘reproductive problems’ not being covered, so I wasn’t expecting much. Not that it mattered; money wasn’t an object as long as she was okay, but I ended up paying £40 excess on the £2000 bill. It pays (literally) to have insurance, folks!

Thanks for checking in. I hope you’re well!

Ora H

North Bend
Hi there, I apologize as I do not have any good advice for you, as I am a new female leopard tortoise owner myself. I’m interested in getting more info also and following for updates.
I do have the thought of if this is not eggs being stuck but more just eggs not developing, what is the physical harm that could cause? On the other hand, if you do not intend to mate or breed her and this would prevent future problems with the eggs not being stuck maybe that would be a benefit of surgery? And would it be a good idea to find a male to breed them for health reasons? If so how often?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hi there, I apologize as I do not have any good advice for you, as I am a new female leopard tortoise owner myself. I’m interested in getting more info also and following for updates.
I do have the thought of if this is not eggs being stuck but more just eggs not developing, what is the physical harm that could cause? On the other hand, if you do not intend to mate or breed her and this would prevent future problems with the eggs not being stuck maybe that would be a benefit of surgery? And would it be a good idea to find a male to breed them for health reasons? If so how often?
Please read this thread from the beginning and your questions should be answered. Esmerelda is a very lucky tort- anything less than a super stubborn and loving mom could have been disastrous. Please keep her beauty shots coming she looks so lovely