"Esio Trot" by Roald Dahl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
"Esio Trot" by Roald Dahl, 1989. Generally considered a children's story, but more of a light comedy romance.

"Esio Trot" is one of the few stories in which tortoises play a major role and that do not involve hares. It often comes up when one searches for tortoise books, and I like Roald Dahl, so I decided to include it here.

The plot is a lonely man who is secretly in love with the woman downstairs. When he overhears her concern that her pet tortoises (species unsaid, probably a Greek or similar) is not growing, he hatches a rather elaborate scheme.

The title comes from the 'magical words' he tells her to say over her tortoise. The words are a chant to grow bigger, written backwards.

The book includes several care guidelines that are almost all wrong and familiar to anyone who kept tortoises in the 70's and 80's (like the old 'all they need is cabbage and water' bit.) I am sad that Mr. Dahl did not see fit to include at least SOME accurate care info considering how widely read most of his stuff is.

Of course, his relationship advice is about as bad as the tortoise care advice, so I guess it somehow evens out! :)

Anyone familiar with Mr. Dahl's work (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, and some rather risque' adult stuff as well) knows he is at least a slightly warped person so none of this should be a surprise.

Caveats in place, it is still a kinda cute story!

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I loved this book as a child, and is hence why my tortoise is called Aflie. I think that Mr. Hoppy was a funny kind of character, and that the book is representative more of the theme of perseverence and is much more of moral lesson than a tortoise handbook....

Shalon

5 Year Member
I love Roald Dahl and haven't seen this book. I will have to look it up and see if I can find a copy. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Most of his books are so dark, so it's hard to imagine a love story, but...Esio Trot is recommended for Ages 9-12.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
The book is still in print, so you shouldn't have any troubles finding a copy. I read it to my class of 5/6/7 year olds when we were doing a topic on reptiles and they loved it

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
alfiethetortoise said:
I loved this book as a child, and is hence why my tortoise is called Aflie. I think that Mr. Hoppy was a funny kind of character, and that the book is representative more of the theme of perseverence and is much more of moral lesson than a tortoise handbook....

And the moral lesson is that you can deceive someone you like to get closer to them and basically kidnap their pets to accomplish this?

I'm just teasing. Overcoming obstacles is sort of the larger theme, and I love his imagery- the floor covered with tortoises and cabbage, etc.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I and all of my children are Roald Dahl fans. His work is so imaginative yet the adults are generally dark and unsavory characters. Makes you wonder what those English boarding schools are really like!:rolleyes:

I will pass this recommendation on and probably have five or six additional reviews by the end of next summer.;)

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Ahh don't be such a kill joy. The world is too PC for it's own good if you ask me. It's a kids book, never designed to be a tortoise handbook and if we are going to go down the 'decieve and you get what you want' lets be honest, it's what all kids books do (Harry Potter, Northen Lights, Twighlight, Famous Five, **** King Smith, Horrid Henry etc etc)

You can't deny that Roald Dahl had class. And it is such class that still stands him amoungst the top 10 UK chlidren's authours despite the fact he passed away 19 years ago...

Any Dahl novices should try some of his adult short stories ('Tales of the Unexpected', 'The Great Automatic Grammatizator' and others) or his autobiographical works 'boy' and 'going solo'.

And for those interedted in Esio Trot here is a summary (CONTAINS SPOILERS!)

Mr. Hoppy is a shy old man who lives alone in an apartment. For many years, he has been secretly in love with Mrs. Silver, a woman who lives below him. Mr. Hoppy frequently leans over his balcony and exchanges polite conversation with Mrs. Silver, but he is too shy to disclose how he feels. Mr. Hoppy longs to express his feelings to Mrs. Silver, but he can never bring his lips to form the words.

Mrs. Silver has a small pet tortoise, Alfie, who she loves very much. One morning, Mrs. Silver mentions to Mr. Hoppy that even though she has had Alfie for many years, her pet has only grown a tiny bit and has gained only 3 ounces in weight. She confesses that she wishes she knew of some way to make her little Alfie grown into a larger, more dignified tortoise. Mr. Hoppy suddenly thinks of a way to give Mrs. Silver her wish and (he hopes!) win her affection.

Mr. Hoppy tells Mrs. Silver that he - in fact - does know of a way to make a tortoise grow bigger. He writes the following words on a slip of paper, and lowers it down to Mrs. Silver.

Mr. Hoppy explains that these magic words, when whispered in Alfie's ear three times a day, will cause Alfie to grow bigger and bigger. Mrs. Silver is doubtful, but agrees to try.

Over the next few days, Mr. Hoppy carries out the second part of his plan. He visits every pet shop in the city, and buys many tortoises of various sizes, but none that weigh less than 13 ounces. Mr. Hoppy brings all the tortoises back to his apartment and installs them in a makeshift corral in his living room. Next, Mr. Hoppy builds a special tool to help him snatch the tortoise from Mrs. Silver's balcony. He fastens a handle to the end of a long metal tube, and a tiny claw at the bottom. By pulling the handle, the arms of the claw gently open and close.

The following day, when Mrs. Silver leaves for work, Mr. Hoppy selects a tortoise from his living room that weighs exactly 15 ounces. He carefully picks Alfie up from the lower balcony, and exchanges him with the new tortoise. When Mrs. Silver returns home, she faithfully whispers the magic words in Alfie's ear, but does not notice that an exchange has been made.

Over the next 8 weeks, Mr. Hoppy continues to switch Mrs. Silver's current pet with a slightly larger tortoise, but she still does not perceive that her pet is growing in size. One afternoon, Mrs. Silver comments to Mr. Hoppy that Alfie seems a bit bigger, but cannot tell for sure. Suddenly, Mrs. Silver notices that Alfie can no longer fit through the door to his house, and exclaims to Mr. Hoppy that his spell is sure to be working! Mrs. Silver runs inside and weighs her pet, and is surprised to find that Alfie now weighs 27 ounces, more than double the weight he was before! Mr. Hoppy summons his courage and asks Mrs. Silver if he can come down and see the effect for himself. Mrs. Silver, in raptures over her pet's transformation, gladly grants his request.

Mr. Hoppy races down the stairs, nervous and excited to be on the brink of winning Mrs. Silver's heart. Mrs. Silver flings open the door, embraces Mr. Hoppy, and expresses her admiration for Mr. Hoppy's magical spell. Mr. Hoppy, suddenly emboldened by Mrs. Silver's warm smile, asks Mrs. Silver for her hand in marriage. Mrs. Silver delightedly accepts Mr. Hoppy's proposal, then adds that she thought he would never get around to asking.

Mr. Hoppy secretly returns all the tortoises in his living room back to their respective pet shops, and Mr. Hoppy and Mrs. Silver are happily married a few weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.