Escapee

S2G

Location (City and/or State)
AL
So I have my first goof up on my hands. Neighbors son grabbed my Hermann's when I was talking to his dad and just sat it down yesterday around 4. I realized about 6 she was missing, but cant find her in the 1/2 acre fenced area. I blocked up any potential escape routes.

What's a good way to lure her out? I'm thinking of weed eating the entire yard except a patch in the middle hopefully with as many dandelions as possible. Any other tips? I've scoured the yard looking. The weather is cooling off a little this week, but I think she'll be good until I find her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210418-102941_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210418-102941_Samsung Internet.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 18

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I have my first goof up on my hands. Neighbors son grabbed my Hermann's when I was talking to his dad and just sat it down yesterday around 4. I realized about 6 she was missing, but cant find her in the 1/2 acre fenced area. I blocked up any potential escape routes.

What's a good way to lure her out? I'm thinking of weed eating the entire yard except a patch in the middle hopefully with as many dandelions as possible. Any other tips? I've scoured the yard looking. The weather is cooling off a little this week, but I think she'll be good until I find her.
You'll probably find her basking. At night they tend to dig in at the bases of plants or large grass clumps. Sometimes in leaf litter areas. That's where I'd be looking.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I hope you find him soon.

S2G

AL
Feel with hands in what you think are good hiding places. Then look every morning when the sun is out for basking.
Good luck and don't stop looking. We have had members find their tort months later.

I have a feeling it's going to be a long one. There's so many places to hide & 3/4 of the yard gets blasted so she can bask just about any where.

I just put my camper shell with windows out so hopefully she will head for that at night for warm.

AZGirl

Arizona
Lost my DT couple times. Ran trickling hose during warm morning and called him. He does responded to my voice. Isn’t that weird? ?? hope you find her! ??

S2G

AL
Crap checked all the corners & all the plant bases. Nothing. I've been spring cleaning so the yard is junked up big time hopefully she's just under some brush. I put the info on the neighborhood page jic. Worries me I didn't catch her out basking.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Crap checked all the corners & all the plant bases. Nothing. I've been spring cleaning so the yard is junked up big time hopefully she's just under some brush. I put the info on the neighborhood page jic. Worries me I didn't catch her out basking.
A lot of times the "lost" creature doesn't wander too far. My feral cat has gotten out a couple of times & she didn't wander too far or she came back if she did. Knowing where there's a food source is a plus. Both times I caught her by having a little cat food out

If there's something fragrant you feed your tort or something fragrant you often cook, you might try that with an open window or door.