Epson salts cure for shell rots, fungal infections & constipated RF torts?

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
Hi, I heard Epson salts are effective cures for fungal problems & when your tort also experienced constipations. Put Epson salts dissolved in water to soak your tort & when it drinks it also helps with his/her not able to defecate, is there some truth to this claim? My red foot often defecates outside of it's enclosure when let out to roam around in the house or in the container for being carried out to outdoors & parks, are torts most likely to relieve themselves when in fear?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not want my tortoise drinking epsom salt water.

Yes they defecate when afraid, and also when warm and walking.

I would not take your tortoise to a park. Too many hazards. Its likely to end badly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If taking Epsom Salt orally, it needs to be dissolved in plenty of water. Drinking Epsom Salts is safe in VERY SMALL doses. But the only benefit is as a laxative, not curing fungus. I would not give Epsom Salt water to my tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Epsom salts DOES have some medicinal purposes. But I also wouldn't consider using it as a fungal remedy. Especially since it's so easily treatable with a cream that is widely available and costs very little and has no side issues associated with it