Environmental control system

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsboro, NC
Fun project I thought I would share. After being out of reptile keeping for almost two decades, I wanted to get back into it with some Burmese stars. I was a bit shocked to see the quality of thermometers and hydrometers marketed for herps were still complete garbage.

This is a prototype of my solution, right now it uses a raspberry pi but I will replace that with a cheaper microcontroller in the future when I start finalizing the setup.

It supports 256 highly accurate wired thermostats, unlimited wireless thermostats/hydrometers, a uvb/uva meter, and as many electrical outlets as you wish (in fail open or closed modes) to control temp, humidity, lighting or whatever you want. It alerts you via text if a problem occurs. You can stream video through it as well, but I will probably remove that once I switch to a microcontroller.

Right now it's a simple text you, but I will add a web control UI in the future.

This one is controlling a tortoise table of mine, but I'm building a larger one that will control the hero building/greenhouse I'm putting up this winter.

PXL_20210803_224616794.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210803_224616794.jpg
    PXL_20210803_224616794.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2