Enrichment for a 1 yr old?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
by the way, the "they" I was talking about in the bath, is because the tort bathes with my bearded dragon
The two should never be together. They also as stated do not need toys nor have fun with you. They are not that kind of pet. They want and need a proper size enclosure, proper food, heat and uvb/light and then be left alone. They do not want or need friends and specially should not share soaking water with another species.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Also I am fairly certain my tort is not territorial and is female
Male and female torts are territorial by nature, very few species live with other torts, let alone completely different species.You may not notice it but territorial or 'bullying' behaviour includes staring, following, nudging and could end up with biting. If your tort is stressed you may notice the signs, but it could affect his health and you won't know until he's ill.

They don't like friends because they are competition for food and basking spots etc. and in enclosed small spaces it's asking for trouble whether injury or disease.

Everyone here only has the wellbeing of torts at heart, so are telling you these things for the torts sake not to spoil your fun.

Mons

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I don't know if this is something you already do or don't do, but I get some bonding time in with my Russian tortoise after bath time. I wrap him in a hand towel and lay him on me while I sit on the couch, and then when he's dried that way (and since he's against me, he gets body heat during that time in addition to the towel), I put him back inside his cage. He sometimes tries climbing around my neck, and then rests on me in his towel with his eyes closed. I think he enjoys this. And it gives me time to check out his eyes and shell and stuff.

I like the thought of a toy as well, think I posted a question about it myself not too long ago, but lots of people mention it's stressful, so I haven't pursued it.

I wonder if a food ball like what people use with dogs and cats would be okay. Then he would be getting positive reinforcement in the form of food by moving a food ball around. Not sure though. I like Yvonne's suggestion of hanging food around so it's like a treasure hunt.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I don't know if this is something you already do or don't do, but I get some bonding time in with my Russian tortoise after bath time. I wrap him in a hand towel and lay him on me while I sit on the couch, and then when he's dried that way (and since he's against me, he gets body heat during that time in addition to the towel), I put him back inside his cage. He sometimes tries climbing around my neck, and then rests on me in his towel with his eyes closed. I think he enjoys this. And it gives me time to check out his eyes and shell and stuff.

This is so cute! I might try this when my baby is older (old enough not to be scared of me anymore).

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I wonder if a food ball like what people use with dogs and cats would be okay. Then he would be getting positive reinforcement in the form of food by moving a food ball around. Not sure though. I like Yvonne's suggestion of hanging food around so it's like a treasure hunt.
This is something I do for my tortoise every now and then as a treat and he loves it. It’s one of those rubber balls intended for dogs. The one pictured here is the “mini” size that is made by JW. 69ECF5E7-6454-4586-A191-1E2F5E7187A2.png