Enrichment for a 1 yr old?

Kwakin

Location (City and/or State)
California
does anybody have any enrichment ideas for a baby Russian tortoise born winter 2019-early 2020. S/he is not really interacting with me much and I want them to have some fun with me and not just bury and sit in the shadows of their enclosure. Long story short, need toy ideas.

Also if you want, tips for petting for shy torts would be appreciated. not needed, but taken.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
I put ping pong ball in Kiwi's enclosure. You can also put interesting things that are more natural like adding some plants or new features to the enclosure. Also you can start training, although it may be to early. I made a target stick out of red pipe cleaners and a stick. Then ever time they touch it with their nose, give them a treat. This is pretty basic, and I've already had some successful attempts with my tortoise. I may be missing something, but do you mean to "pet" like how you pet a dog? Be really nice and provide lots of treats. Also be very gentle, face them head on, and put them on the floor on all 4 legs. If they associated food and safety with you, they might be more outgoing and friendly.

Kwakin

California
1, I try putting a ping pong ball in the bath with them and they don’t touch it at all, and yes I mean pet like caress. 2, thanks for the advice, should start training.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Pushing a ball around is reproducing behaviour that a tortois euses to remove another tortoise invading his teritory. It’s not enrichment. It’s stress.

A properly set up enclosure with plants, shelter and food is all the enrichment that’s needed

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get some plastic clips and clip food in them then place them high up around in different places around the enclosure. He has to search, then reach. Good exercise and something to do.

Kwakin

California
by the way, the "they" I was talking about in the bath, is because the tort bathes with my bearded dragon

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In the bath, your tortoise needs not enrichment. Just room to march about and a bowl deep enough not to be able to climb out of

Kwakin

California
my bath is at least a foot tall and brightly lit and a lot of room but I don't understand why they just sit in the same place

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
my bath is at least a foot tall and brightly lit and a lot of room but I don't understand why they just sit in the same place
Because the water is the right temperature and they’re relaxed. They don’t need to run around just for the sake of it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Does your tortoise have its head out? Does it look relaxed? Or does it pull its head in?

The two creatures may well be afraid of each other. To be honest I wouldn’t want to soak them together. Tortoises frequently poop in the bath water and you really don’t want the bearded dragon bathing in that. I would soak separatel.

Tom knows bearded dragons. Would you advise against soaking a bearded dragon and Russian together @Tom?

Kwakin

California
they are not afraid of each other and sometimes the beardie and Russian cuddle together while runner around

Kwakin

California
and if you are talking about the tortoise being afraid of the beardie, no, she tried biting the beardie's fingers when I first got her (doesn't do it anymore), and they honestly don't mind each other

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
and if you are talking about the tortoise being afraid of the beardie, no, she tried biting the beardie's fingers when I first got her (doesn't do it anymore), and they honestly don't mind each other
Have you ever been bitten by a beardie that is not a fun bite for not so obvious teeth. They do not interact in the wild and to do so is very stressful

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Your tort will not enjoy having another animal in its space and will get stressed out even if you can't see it.
Maybe the beardie will feel the same.
Also mixing them together is not a good idea because they have different pathogens and one could make the other ill.

Kwakin

California
No, I do not keep them together, and the beardie never hurts anything, just its food, (and I lick whenever he runs to a different spot)

Kwakin

California
Your tort will not enjoy having another animal in its space and will get stressed out even if you can't see it.
Maybe the beardie will feel the same.
Also mixing them together is not a good idea because they have different pathogens and one could make the other ill.
Also I am fairly certain my tort is not territorial and is female

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Also I am fairly certain my tort is not territorial and is female
Not being critical, & I don't have my tort yet, but from extensive reading about why you should not keep two tortoises together...one sign of aggression between 2 tortoises can be the appearance of "cuddling." The same could be true for your tortoise & bearded dragon.

I just suggest you do some reading on this site. My eyes have been opened wide about a tortoise's point of view of life.

The other comments above also seem relevant. Good luck!!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I believe, there was a thread posted on the forum, not too long ago, about a bearded dragon that bit a tortoise and caused damage to the tortoise. You might want to try to search for it.