Enough food variety?

Avuwyy

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, Merseyside
Since I have a dead garden, I haven’t been able to get any weeds or grasses for my tortoise to feed on, so since I got my tortoise I’ve been feeding them vegetables and fruit (trying to wean them onto pellets and dried weeds but unfortunately failing).

I’ve read that you shouldn’t feed too much kale and spinach especially, but they’re the only greens I am able to find at the market near mine, I feed a small amount of these daily, along with a bit of carrot, and cucumber. I’ve tried with rosemary but as I’ve read they don’t eat it because of the smell. I’m not sure if this is enough variety in their diet.

Im currently using a weed growing kit but it is taking quite a while to cultivate so for the next week or two (possibly) would it be alright to continue feeding my tortoise these vegetables? If not what other vegetables could you reccomend? (I am not able to find collard or spring greens and I’ve searched everywhere, otherwise they would’ve been my main choice in green veg and not spinach and kale ).

Also anywhere in the uk anyone can reccomend for buying edible cacti for tortoises?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should be able to find the Sainsbury's bagged salads: Bistro, Italian, mixed leaf, wild rocket, crispy florette, etc. Just read the labels to see what the bags contain.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I would look in Sainsbury’s but I don’t live near one unfortunately! :( I tried Iceland’s but they don’t have any bagged greens either.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
The florette crispy salad is a good option and you can get supermarket own versions as well with the same stuff in. Plus bags of watercress, rocket and chicory.
Which supermarkets do you live nearby?

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I live by an Iceland’s, a Tesco and an Asda, plus a few farmers markets. I would order online but most supermarkets want £40 for delivery, and I don’t need anything worth £40

(Also oof I let my tort crawl under my thigh and now he’s sleeping on my butt and I don’t want to wake him what to do.)

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Tesco’s and Asda will sell all of those things, I often shop in both of them. I also feed Komodo pellets to increase the fibre in his diet whilst I’m not able to get him weeds etc.
Have you looked on the tortoise table website? That’s got a brilliant database of what to and what not to feed your tortoise.