Engraving a Tortoises Shell?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Looks ok to me, I'd rather have living engraved torts than smuggled ones :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think in a desperate situation like this it's okay. Hoping it will work be a deterrent. Plus, if anyone ends up with one of these, maybe they will report the poaches and it will stop. Too many die from the sad situations poachers put them in before they get to where they are going.
To do this for fun, that I don't agree with. Also, as long as it doesn't affect the animal.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I think in a desperate situation like this it's okay. Hoping it will work be a deterrent. Plus, if anyone ends up with one of these, maybe they will report the poaches and it will stop. Too many die from the sad situations poachers put them in before they get to where they are going.
To do this for fun, that I don't agree with. Also, as long as it doesn't affect the animal.
Think this will work for the average outdoor tort? Put your number on him & if he's stolen/lost you can find him easily? What happens when the torts grow up?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think if it doesn't hurt the tort in anyway and you live in an area that theft could be a good reality. However, if he is stolen, I doubt anyone would make the call. If the tort gets out and lost, that would work, but personally, I feel the extra mile should be taken so,there is no escape. I know things happen even though we have done our best so they won't get out, I just wouldn't want this to be a crutch.
I would think as they grow the numbers would either get bigger, but also in time may get too distorted. Would be interesting to find out.

Camryn

Tampa, FL
I don't see this being ok. Its shell is beautiful, and what if this leave the tortoise uncomfortable? :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think it would be uncomfortable for long. It would be just as if you had engraved your fingernail. It might hurt for a while, but eventually the pain goes away. It's a real shame it has come to this. But if it works to protect the tortoises, good on them!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Camryn

Tampa, FL
I guess your right.. I just wouldn't want to put him in pain for any amount of time..