Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Interesting thoughts coming from a country of that was settled by people that spoke Spanish, Portugese, Italian, Dutch, French, Prussian, Scandanavian and German. Oh yeah, there was even some English in there!

Maybe we should be speaking local Native American dialects since they were actually already here. After all, we did come to their country so shouldn't we have learned to speak their language?

Bottom line is, America has always been and still is the "melting pot" of the world. We've accepted people of all nationalites with their own languages and customs. In fact, many of those customs have become our customs.

I don't speak a word of Spanish and understand even less of it. Do I think English should be the "official" language? Well I do think that it would be more beneficial and unified to have one language. But I also think, given our status on freedom and democracy that it would be hypocritical of us to "demand" that people not speak their native language. After all, I have a right to speak mine, English and no one has ever told me to stop.

Can it be a hassle at times when trying to communicate with someone who doesn't speak my language-yep it can.
Does it bother me when two people are speaking a foreign language in front of me-yep it does.
Do I think that immigrants should learn the accepted language of a country in order to better live and communicate in that country-yep I do.
Do I think we should force them to speak it-nope.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nobody is saying what language somebody will be "forced" to speak or not speak. Nobody is saying a Brazilian immigrant can't come live here and still speak Portuguese whenever he/she wants. All we are saying is that everyone who lives here should at least be able to speak, read and understand the predominant language. And that we shouldn't have to spend millions on printing everything in multiple languages.

And those foreign language billboards bug the heck out of me...

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
I really don't have an opinion (tbh i thought you folks had an official language, who knew? lol) but i have some questions/thoughts

<begins stirring pot>

- Will the official language be American English, Canadian English, Australian English, British English or Internet English? Different words, spellings, pronunciations, vowel stresses etc.
- Standardizing forms and paperwork is one thing but does the land of the free really want to force people to learn english to become a citizen?
- Does that mean when an American born child is 18 they must take a standardized test to become an official citizen? lol jk but you know someone will ask.
- Maybe instead of english you could adopt Esperanto ? :p

Regards,
A uni-lingual person living in a city that speaks 100+ languages in an officially bi-lingual country

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I think we should just all speak Ebonics, with a little texting short hand thrown in the mix. Lol fo shizzle.

-Matt

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
I didn't actually mean it the way I wrote, I wasn't implying that immigrants would have to be "forced" to speak English. I meant "forced" in terms of it being a law. I'm really not a big fan of laws in general, especially those that impose on someone's rights to practice their culture. Heck, we English speaking Americans aren't even required to use legible or intelligent English anymore! I can prove that by talking with my teenagers for about a minute. Oh wait, they don't talk to me, they text me-"D ur so O fashd".

"Will the official language be American English, Canadian English, Australian English, British English or Internet English? Different words, spellings, pronunciations, vowel stresses etc."

Very good point! What exactly is the English spoke in America? I haven't traveled every state, but I've been to quite a few and lived in a few others. English is spoken very differently in different regions and states within our own borders. Here in New York State where I live, our English is very different from what you hear from the New York City area and Boston. Both only 4 hours away. Maine and Northern Vermont also speak different with differently-6 hours away. I travel for work once a month to a place which is right on the Canadian/U.S. border. Different language usage there too. Throughout this country different words and phrases have different meanings.

If and when Spanish speaking people become the majority in this country should all of us "non-Spanish speaking" citizens then be required by law to speak Spanish or should the then majority of Spanish speaking people be required to speak the then minority language of English?

In all of this, I am truly not against speaking English! Heck, it's the only language I know. Personally, I'm in favor of everything being in English because it's easier for me.

Looking past my own selfishness, which I try to do in these situations, I don't see making English the "official" language as doing anything at all, except costing taxpayers money. Making English the only language available in print just means that we have to hire thousands more people at federal, state and local levels to translate officials forms and documents for people. It won't stop those people from speaking their language, writing it.

At one time I think it might have been a good idea to make English the legally official language of the United States. At a certain point in our history it would have probably worked. But I think it's an idea whose concept isn't feasible today.

We don't have any foreign language billboards where I live so I can't relate, we don't have very many billboards at all, but honestly, they would probably bother me too!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
matt41gb said:
I think we should just all speak Ebonics, with a little texting short hand thrown in the mix. Lol fo shizzle.

-Matt

rofl.gif

In all seriousness, I have to say that I agree that if someone is going to come here and make a life for themselves in our country, then they should put forth every effort to learn to speak our language. I have absolutely nothing against anyone who wants to live the American dream. But it is frustrating when I can't understand what someone is trying to say to me.

I work at a drycleaners, which also has a laundry mat. I also live in an area where we have a lot of Mexican migrant workers (I apologize if that is demeaning or not the politically correct term) during the summer months. They are all really nice guys, always polite, and they always ask me if I speak Spanish (I am Native American but get mistaken for Hispanic a lot.) The problem is, I don't. It wasn't a requirement in my school. I know enough to tell them that I don't speak their language, and that is about it. It causes problems sometimes. If someone is having trouble with one of the machines, I have no idea what they are trying to tell me. It would be so much easier if they spoke better English. They are after all visitors in MY country.

When I was still working as a cosmetologist I had a family that was beautifully bilingual. The mother was from Russia, and the father was American. They had this gorgeous baby girl, and had the coolest system worked out. The father ONLY spoke English to the baby. The mother ONLY spoke Russian. That way she learned both languages right from the time she was born. I think that is so neat.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
So this is my oppinion. If someone works with the public like at the DMV, fastfood etc....they should HAVE to speak clear english. I don't care if my gardeners don't speak english. They are polite and they do a good job.
True story~ A woman came to the company my husband works for ( she was a federal goverment employee) her job was to make sure they had enough non white people working there. She kept telling my husband"You need to hire only non white people". Most the employees come from the union, so my husband does not choose what color they are. The funny thing is the company that owns the company my husband works for can hire only hispanics (they are Cuban) by saying must speak spanish. To top it off this goverment employee was rude to EVERYONE and spoke such poor english with a heavy philapino accent they could hardly understand her. She also yelled at my husband because not enough city buses came by (crazy he does not work for Cal Trans) and yelled at the resptionist because SHE got lost. And this is what YOUR tax dollars pay for.

So this is my oppinion. If someone works with the public like at the DMV, fastfood etc....they should HAVE to speak clear english. I don't care if my gardeners don't speak english. They are polite and they do a good job.
True story~ A woman came to the company my husband works for ( she was a federal goverment employee) her job was to make sure they had enough non white people working there. She kept telling my husband"You need to hire only non white people". Most the employees come from the union, so my husband does not choose what color they are. The funny thing is the company that owns the company my husband works for can hire only hispanics (they are Cuban) by saying must speak spanish. To top it off this goverment employee was rude to EVERYONE and spoke such poor english with a heavy philapino accent they could hardly understand her. She also yelled at my husband because not enough city buses came by (crazy he does not work for Cal Trans) and yelled at the resptionist because SHE got lost. And this is what YOUR tax dollars pay for.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Never had a white, english speaking person complain and yell at you? Just because someone speaks English doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to be understandable. Some heavy British and Australian English accents are often difficult to understand for us Americans as well. Not to mention the fact that a multitude of words and phrases mean very different things when used between American, British and Australian English. We egotistical Americans (I am one of them) believe that we do rule the world and others should conform. Kind of like our verision of football when the rest of the world is playing soccer. We can't seem to understand why they don't think it's the greatest game on earth, dumb foreigners.

On a lighter, but stereotypical note, here's a true story that happened to high school friend of mine a few years ago:

One of my friends since childhood, who just happens to be Filipino (for real, nothing to do with above story from Angi), had recently purchased another home in a pretty nice neighborhood to be closer to his thriving business. Before he was 60 miles away and commuting. Shortly after purchasing the home he was working outdoors getting things cleaned up. Kind of grubby in his work clothes a tee shirt and shorts, while raking and bagging leaves in the front yard a "high end" luxury car pulls up to the curb, the window goes down and a seemingly well to do caucasian woman yells out from the street to my friend: "What do you charge an hour to do that?" My friend looks up and his very clear English says: "Lady, I'm not Mexican, I'm Filipino!" Her response: "Okay, but what do you charge for yardwork?"
He went back to raking and ignored her!

True story and with that, I'm outta this thread, it's going the wrong way for my liking.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Yes I have been yelled at by white people. I have also been treated with kindness by people of All colors. I do not judge people by their race or color, but I DO think a person working for the American goverment in a public position should speak clear english. I also think all Americans should learn a second language. I have tried and I think I am just too old, but my boys will take spanish classes in high school. I think it is dumb that spanish is not taught in the elementry schools in San Diego.
BTW~ My husband is fluent in spanish and people are alway shocked to hear him speak spanish so well or at all. I guess they don't expect it from a white blue eyed man.

Yes I have been yelled at by white people. I have also been treated with kindness by people of All colors. I do not judge people by their race or color, but I DO think a person working for the American goverment in a public position should speak clear english. I also think all Americans should learn a second language. I have tried and I think I am just too old, but my boys will take spanish classes in high school. I think it is dumb that spanish is not taught in the elementry schools in San Diego.
BTW~ My husband is fluent in spanish and people are alway shocked to hear him speak spanish so well or at all. I guess they don't expect it from a white blue eyed man.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
My grandparents came over through Ellis and had to learn English. My grandmother taught other German immigrants how to speak English so they could pass citizenship (back in the 50s - 60s)

English is the language we speak here. You know how I voted.

teri

Paganthegoat

5 Year Member
Lincolnshire UK
Well i am English as oposed to British , in my country we have a vast immigrant population that lived together but will not integrate with us, we are a mongrel nation , invaded by countless people over the years ans the English langague reflects this tho as you can see i cant spell it lol.

I have difficulty understanding some Scots accents and getting help from Indian call centres is a nightmare so we tend to give our business to those with English based call centres so im back to Scots accents again and no better off.

I think to have English as an official ,( damn that word i cant spell again) langage would be great , but it would also be sad to lose over time the other tongues, i am useless at learning other languages, i know some French , Japanese a bit of Latin , Spanish etc...and quite a bit of Latin .

I do think tho if you move to someones country you should have the good manners to learn thier customs and speach , it is disrespectful not to do so .

Looking at my lot abroard and how they behave it makes you cringe .

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Just to throw a spanner in the works. :D:D
Are we on about English English or American English,:p
when i was in Colorado nobody could understand me when i spoke normal, There is such a big difference.. :rolleyes:

Paganthegoat said:
Well i am English as oposed to British , in my country we have a vast immigrant population that lived together but will not integrate with us, we are a mongrel nation , invaded by countless people over the years ans the English langague reflects this tho as you can see i cant spell it lol.

I have difficulty understanding some Scots accents and getting help from Indian call centres is a nightmare so we tend to give our business to those with English based call centres so im back to Scots accents again and no better off.

I think to have English as an official ,( damn that word i cant spell again) langage would be great , but it would also be sad to lose over time the other tongues, i am useless at learning other languages, i know some French , Japanese a bit of Latin , Spanish etc...and quite a bit of Latin .

I do think tho if you move to someones country you should have the good manners to learn thier customs and speach , it is disrespectful not to do so .

Looking at my lot abroard and how they behave it makes you cringe .

Totally Agree on some points, I find it hard to understand the scotts and some of the Irish, It is good manners to learn your adopted countries native language, On saying that those very same people that complain about the immigrants in the uk not speaking English, Then come on holiday or come to live here and think it is their god given right that the spanish should speak English.. You would be surprised on the amount of Brits that have been here years un-yet they cannot speak spanish

Paganthegoat

5 Year Member
Lincolnshire UK
Well said Bikerchic , they do cleve together rather like the immigrants i was ranting on about here , if you want to live in another country its because you like it and its people and customs not to turn it into little brittian :)

Yeah good point , tho i read a lot of books written by American authors , i can read USA English but i doubt id be understood much either , too much of the Sarf London Lock Stock Layer Cake euphimisms ..amnd yes i spelt that wrong ...

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Paganthegoat said:
Well said Bikerchic , they do cleve together rather like the immigrants i was ranting on about here , if you want to live in another country its because you like it and its people and customs not to turn it into little brittian :)

Yeah good point , tho i read a lot of books written by American authors , i can read USA English but i doubt id be understood much either , too much of the Sarf London Lock Stock Layer Cake euphimisms ..amnd yes i spelt that wrong ...

Your right, I have lived in Spain 25 years, when I came over no one apart from waiters spoke English, there was no English papers, tv, bars, shops etc..
Now there's English tv, papers, bars, chippies, radio etc,
But what I don't understand is this, I left Britain (Loughborough) to be exact to get away from the political correctness crap, I integrated with Spanish, all my friends are Spanish and I class myself as Spanish, so why do people leave blighty to come to Spain and read the sun whilst eating fish and chips or having a English
breakfast? They are ruining this beautiful country and the friendly laid back people.
All the Brits do is winge about the Spanish, it's as tho they have nothing better to do..
Sorry for ranting it just gets my back up. :D:D:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Let me restate I am not against other people speaking another ( or more ) languages at home or even in their own business I am upset at having say at the DMV, last time I checked there were like 20 different versions ( languages) of the driving test there, and in all honesty all our sings are in english so why offer the test in a different language. Speak whatever language you want at home or in your own business, If I don't like you speaking your language in your business I can always choose another restaurant that I like but for goodness sakes when you go to another country to live, learn the language.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
LOL...When I came back to the U.S. on American Airlines they were out of the customs forms in english. So I had to fill out a spanish one. That was fun. I get along fine with people who speak spanish and broken english as long as they don't work in a job where they need to deal with the public. It is just something you get used to growing up in San Diego. I can usually comunnicate with Mexicans speaking spanglish but I could not understand the accent in Spain at all. It was quieter and it sounded like they had food in their mouth. My husband speaks spanish with a spanish accent but most S. Califonians speak it with a mexican accent.
I also have a hard time understanding people with heavy southern accents.Hmmmm....I might have went off topic.... sorry

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Ive been reading this thrad for sometime and I have not heard a good "for" argument yet. Ive also done my fair share of traveling. Ive been all over Europe, Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Fiji, Tahiti, Micronesia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Japan, and Morocco. I too never expected anyone to cater to me because I spoke only English, but thats them and this is us. We are not any of those countrys and thats what makes this country great. Besides, its Unconstitutional.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
An official language is unconstitutional? how so?
Are you basing that line of thought on the first amendment?

Paganthegoat

5 Year Member
Lincolnshire UK
OK OK lets go the George Bush way , anyone not speaking English we nuke um .....oh gawd am i gonna be in trouble now?

Status
Not open for further replies.