endangered western pond turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
France
Cool program with 95% of success that's really great !!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That 95% survival rate thing might be wishful thinking on those scientists' part. Anyone ever seen the Colombia River? There's no way, unless they've put tracking devices on those turtles, that they could know if they lived or died.

Its nice to see someone doing something for the turtles. They are supposedly a 'turtle of interest' here in California too, however, take a trip up into the foothills and watch the streams and ponds. You'll see hundreds of turtles.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Thats awesome!!!

I'm glad the turtles are doing well in your part of CA, Yvonne. Our rivers and ponds here in Southern California are full of red eared sliders. I'm seeing less and less of the western pond turtles. I think they'll be completely overtaken soon. :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Actually they don't just dump them in the main Columbia River. The picture in the paper showed a slough of the Columbia River, very peaceful with grasses along the edge, etc.
There are a lot of side rivers, and ponds along the Columbia, and they are using a few specific locations. I would imagine that makes it easier to track them.

I like the fact that the project loops in the Youth Conservation Corps, 2 Zoos, and several other youth and wildlife conservation organizations.
Nice to see something positive in the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.