End of life arrangements for torts

Quadro

Location (City and/or State)
SC
Okay so I was just wondering I myself am not a spring chicken anymore ? but having said that it’s been on my mind lately if something happens to me what happens to my tortoises they have long life spans and my parrots as well what do you do where do you start ? Has this ever been on anyone else’s mind ? And to answer a couple questions I have no children my pets are my children and no I don’t have any really close friends I would dare trust with any of them only because I see how they “take “ care of their own not really up to my standards ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, it does cross my mind occasionally, especially since I was hit by car last year which made me realise that although I was lucky that time, I'm not immortal. Hopefully I still have plenty of years left in me, but you never know what's around the corner and my tort could go on for another 60+ more years if anything happened to me in the near future.

Like you I don't have kids and none of my nephews or nieces are interested in taking on a tort, so I should imagine that, unless I can find someone I trust to pass him on to, he will end up in a rescue centre. With him being a leopard tort in the UK he is larger, more expensive and higher maintenance than more common species so it won't be easy to re home him. I can only hope someone like me who goes the extra mile for him will come along, fall in love with him and rescue him again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm in partnership with Kapidolo Farms in SoCal, so if and when I go, if he's still around, the animals go to him. He's younger than I, so hopefully, he'll still be around when it's my time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Make friends here on the forum.
Hopefully a new good friend will be there for your tortoises in the future.
I'm hoping that when I BITE THE BISCUIT, someone right here will take in my group.
I have a few folks in mind.
My wife has the phone numbers...

Quadro

SC
I'm hoping that when I BITE THE BISCUIT, someone right here will take in my group.
That sounds like a plan? thanks for the advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's what I was going to say. Get too know members that might be close and see if they would be willing to take them in. I keep hoping my son would take mine. After all he gets the house. However I have a member or 2 in mind that might be able to help him out should he not want them.

Sa Ga

MN
Tom? Oh, Tommy....! Would you like...the Forum's dead members' torts? Pleeease with Torties on top?

?
???
PLEASE!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I have a friend who is hopefully taking my leopard, and my Hermann better go where my kid goes.