End of Brumation

Elvis Fan

Location (City and/or State)
Whittier
My Tortoise garden is ready, I've figured out my food for Elvis... everything is ready to go, but where is Elvis (He's left the building)? I keep checking his box in the recesses of the garage and I do not hear any growing movement. I checked on him two weeks ago and he was sound asleep. When I startled him, he hissed annoyance. Elvis went down on November 1st and I know he will let me know when he's ready, but I guess I'm anxious to see if he likes his new digs. Elvis is an adult desert tortoise around 12lbs. I live in So Cal and the day temps are now hovering in the low to high 70's. We have rain coming next week and I was going to wait until; after to bring him out. Anyone have tortoises up and about yet?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I watch the weather and wait for a 10 day warm spell after a cold spell. We aren't there yet. My little Chersina man is still slumbering away.

The big problem I run into is when things warm up and I wake all the hibernators up, and then it gets cold again. We always seem to get a long cold rainy spell in mid May after its already been warm for weeks or months. I combat this problem by keeping the ambient in the night box around 65, and then I run a heat lamp in the box on cold overcast day until we get farther along in spring and temps stay consistently warm and sunny.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
All my Russian tortoises are up. Two of my four Desert tortoises woke up last week.

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
My Tortoise garden is ready, I've figured out my food for Elvis... everything is ready to go, but where is Elvis (He's left the building)? I keep checking his box in the recesses of the garage and I do not hear any growing movement. I checked on him two weeks ago and he was sound asleep. When I startled him, he hissed annoyance. Elvis went down on November 1st and I know he will let me know when he's ready, but I guess I'm anxious to see if he likes his new digs. Elvis is an adult desert tortoise around 12lbs. I live in So Cal and the day temps are now hovering in the low to high 70's. We have rain coming next week and I was going to wait until; after to bring him out. Anyone have tortoises up and about yet?
I’m in SoCal and my Russian’s are all up and active. My coworkers desert tort is still sleeping too. Next week rain ? not a fan of the cool even more now that I’m a tort mom. We’re solar powered

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Russians are out and about, but the desert tortoises don't usually start getting active until the night time temps are 50F and above constantly. We're still in the 40sF.